Track your police complaint’s status in real time
New Delhi: The next time you go to a police station to report a crime, your complaint will be typed and you will be given a number through which you can track its status on the Delhi Police website. A new version of Crime and Criminal Tracking Network System (CCTNS) has been put in place since September 1 by Delhi Police to make reporting a crime simpler and transparent. The system can be monitored by senior officers, judges and jail officials simultaneously. It will also do away with instances of junior officers fudging timings of receiving a complaint for which they are often hauled up by the courts. Police are going to integrate their system with courts, jails, prosecution and forensic science laboratory (FSL) for sharing of information in real-time. DCP (crime records) Rajan Bhagat said that connecting police stations through a common platform would mean that all the documents relating to crime, criminals and investigation will have a real-time stamp on them. “This would bring in transparency in working of police and make it citizen-friendly. This cultural change will improve the reliability and quality of police functioning,” he added. CCTNS will also do away with manually maintaining a daily diary of incidents, which had to be submitted to senior officers every morning. Delhi Police upgraded the system from version 3.0, which it has been using for the past few years, to version 4.5.
The new system has the provision of displaying details of people arrested in all police stations in the past 24 hours through a citizen’s portal as per the directions of Supreme Court. Cops will also be provided access to a national database created at the police station level for exchange of information to reduce the time lag of correspondence in case of an interstate operation. This change will make policing more transparent during interstate operations. The system will soon be integrated with PCR number 100 to directly transmit calls to the police stations concerned thereby reducing reaction time. Other systems to be integrated with CCTNS include motor vehicle theft, criminal dossier, automatic finger and palm print identification system, crime and criminal information system, ZIPNET and personal information system. In a presentation given before the lieutenant governor on Thursday, cops informed that to improve the quality of investigation, a pilot project is being planned for separation of investigation units from law and order duties in two police stations of each district. The investigation teams will be formed under an inspector. This newly-created wing will be given sufficient staff and resources with a clear mandate of their responsibilities and duties.
One more Dengue patient dies, toll in KMC area rises to five
Kolkata: A 43-year-old woman, who had tested positive for dengue, died on Thursday morning at a nursing home in Ekbalpore. Noor Jahan Khatoon becomes the fifth dengue patient to have died in the KMC area, which has registered four such deaths in September alone. Khatoon was admitted to the nursing home late on Tuesday with high fever and respiratory distress. Her condition gradually deteriorated and she died early on Thursday. The death certificate of the homemaker mentions “cardiac failure in a case of dengue”. She, however, died before the final confirmation report of dengue came in. The woman, along with her family, lived on Kabi Tirtha Sarani under Ward 75 in the Watgunge police station area. Originally from Samastipur in Bihar, Khatoon’s husband, Mohammad Sattar, ran a small store in the Watgunge locality. After Khatoon’s death, the family, along with the kids, left for Samastipur for her last rites there. According to neighbours, Khatoon had been down with fever for the past few days. When medications from a local doctor did not work, she was admitted to the nursing home. Doctors said by the time she was admitted; her condition had already turned critical.
“Even last year, many people from this locality were affected by dengue. Just when we thought the situation was better this time, this death took place. Many people here are down with fever even now,” said Mohammad Kalim, a neighbour. Residents accused the civic body of not doing enough to control the mosquito menace. They alleged civic health workers were rarely seen with fogging machines. “The civic body did not seem to learn any lesson,” said another resident of the area, Mohammad Rezaul. Even as Ward 75 councilor Belquis Begum confirmed the death, she pointed out the patient had tested positive for NS1, an initial test for dengue, but died before IgG and IgM tests could be conducted. She refuted the allegation of mosquito-counter steps not being taken. “We have been conducting dengue control measures regularly. But with this death, we will step up our vigilance. I have brought this death to the notice of the corporation,” she told TOI. Times View: Our worst fears seem to be coming true. The areas stung by dengue last year have again started reporting a spurt in cases. But there seems to be a new list of affected areas. Nothing can be worse than people scared of a potentially fatal disease in the run-up to and during the festival season.
Alert driver averts train collision near Patipukur
Kolkata: A collision was averted after the alert driver of a 53139 Kolkata-Jasidih passenger train slammed the brakes on realizing that he had entered the wrong tracks between the Patipukur and Dum Dum Junction stations around 10.30pm on Wednesday. The Patipukur station manager was suspended on charges of negligence. The Jasidih-bound train had just crossed the Patipukur station when the loco-pilot realized that there was a track failure ahead. He was about to apply brakes when the train took a turn and entered a Circular Railway track. He immediately applied brakes and stopped the train. “At that moment, a Kolkata station-bound Circular Railway EMU local was waiting at the outer signal of Patipukur for the passenger train to cross. There was no risk of a collision as the EMU local hadn’t started and the passenger train was moving at a slow speed. The driver of the passenger train was also very alert. Senior officers, including the divisional railway manager, Sealdah, visited the spot and ordered a probe,” an Eastern Railway spokesperson said. The station manager was suspended as the points were set wrongly, which led the passenger train to cross over to the tracks meant for the Circular Railway. After it stopped the tracks, the passenger train was reversed and had to wait for nearly an hour for the tracks to be repaired before it could move again.
State seeks flood relief of Rs. 5,000 crore
Thiruvananthapuram: The state government submitted a memorandum to the Centre seeking a financial assistance of Rs 4,796.35 crore for flood-related losses as per the norms set by national disaster management authority. The memorandum submitted by additional chief secretary (revenue and disaster management) PH Kurian states that Kerala lost 9,538km of state highways and other major roads, 510km of bridges, 31,7003 drinking water units or open wells, 12,236km of panchayat roads, 2,524km of municipality roads and 627km of corporation roads. In the memorandum, the government said that 339 people perished and an assistance of Rs 13.56 crore is required as ex-gratia payment to their families at the rate of Rs 4 lakh/person. The state government also sought an assistance of Rs 3.34 crore for distribution among the 669 fishermen who participated in search and rescue operations at the rate of Rs 50,000/boat. The state government said that it has distributed clothes and utensils to 6,05,675 people, for which Rs 23.01 crore is required as assistance (Rs 3,800/kit unit).
According to the state’s memorandum, Rs 105.20 crore is required for the repair of fully-damaged houses, Rs 85.336 crore for severely-damaged houses, Rs 1,732 crore for repairing partially-damaged houses. The state said almost Rs 317 crore is required for repairing the open wells and drinking water units while another Rs 536 crore is needed to restore irrigation projects. It said the damages estimated are way beyond the claimed figure, but the figure was reached on the basis of the norms stipulated by the Centre. “The assistance sought is much less than the actual loss. This is based on a standard format stipulated as per the Disaster Management Act,” said revenue department sources. It is learnt that a central team from ministry of home affairs would visit the state on September 20.
Swine Flu in UP: Kheri patient dies at KGMU
Lucknow: The swine flu patient from Lakhimpur Kheri undergoing treatment at King George’s Medical University (KGMU) succumbed on Thursday morning. The patient, said to be around 30 years of age, had been put on ventilator support late in Wednesday night. As per officials of the health department, the patient was suffering from an underlying cardiac condition and had first contracted fever while working in Dubai around 12 days back after which he came to Lari cardiology at KGMU for treatment. “At Lari cardiology, he showed symptoms of hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM) and pneumonia and was referred to the medicine department. We suspected that he was suffering from swine flu and took his sample. But the next day, he went to a private facility in Gomtinagar but there also his sample was taken for swine flu test,” said Dr. D Himanshu of medicine department, KGMU.
Man beaten to death inside ATM near Taj Mahal
Agra: On Wednesday late night, a group of men assaulted a man to death inside an ATM just 800 meters from Taj Mahal. Ravi, the 30-year-old victim, worked as the driver of a battery-operated bus which is used for ferrying tourists to the entry gate of Taj Mahal. According to police, Ravi, who hailed from Dhandhupura village, came to hide inside the ATM booth as he was being chased by four men over a minor dispute. Speaking to TOI, Udairaj Singh, circle officer, Sadar, said, “Around 11.30 pm, the victim ran into the ATM booth as four men with club-sticks were chasing him. Our team has detained two of them and they have told us that a petty issue prompted the attack. The accused, identified as Pawan, Raju, Rajkumar and Hetam Singh, also hail from Dhandhupura village. They have been booked under IPC sections 302 (murder) and 120 B (criminal conspiracy)”. According to police, Pawan, a local moneylender, is the prime accused as he hatched the plan to kill Ravi. “Three days back, the group had engaged in a heated argument with the victim. CCTV footage from the ATM shows Pawan, Raju and Rajkumar assaulting Ravi with club stick and stones,” said an official from Tajganj police station. “We are conducting raids to nab the other two accused. They will be arrested soon,” he official added.
Chinese man on ‘revenge spree against society’ rams car, kills 11
Beijing: Eleven people were killed and 44 injured after a car plowed into a crowded square in China and the driver attacked people with a knife and spade seeking “revenge” on society for previous criminal convictions. The attack took place on Wednesday night and injured mostly elderly people who had gathered in the square by the river in Hengyang county. The driver, Yang Zanyun, 54, has a long criminal record with previous convictions for selling drugs, theft and attacking people, which caused him to harbour a desire for “revenge on society”, the Hengyang government said. The office released no other details about the suspect. Yang has been detained, the government said, without giving other details. There was no indication that the incident was terror related, it added. Knife attacks by disgruntled people in public places and schools to highlight their grievances periodically occur in in China. Uygur militants from Xinjiang from the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM) also in the past attacked crowds with speeding cars. The Chinese government is generally nervous about such incidents after a car plowed through pedestrians in the northern part of Beijing’s Tiananmen Square in 2013, killing the three people in the car and two bystanders.
Britain’s surveillance violates privacy rights
Strasbourg, France: Europe’s human rights court handed a partial victory on Thursday to civil rights groups that challenged the legality of mass surveillance practices exposed by American whistleblower Edward Snowden. The European Court of Human Rights ruled that some aspects of British surveillance regimes violated provisions in the European Convention on Human Rights that are meant to safeguard Europeans’ rights to privacy. The ruling cited a “lack of oversight of the entire selection process” and “the absence of any real safeguards”. But the ruling wasn’t all bad for spies. The court said “it is satisfied” that British intelligence services take their human rights convention obligations “seriously and are not abusing their powers”. Civil liberties campaigners that brought the case hailed the judgement as a landmark against mass surveillance. Silkie Carlo, director of Big Brother Watch, said the ruling “vindicates Mr. Snowden’s courageous whistleblowing.” “Under the guise of counter-terrorism, the UK has adopted the most authoritarian surveillance regime of any Western state, corroding democracy… and rights of the British public,” Carlo said.