News Flash – 20 February 2018

National News

 

 

Gone in 10 minutes: Oshiwara man loses 1 lakh from Delhi ATM

 

 

MUMBAI: A 33-year-old Oshiwara resident, Saif Khan, allegedly lost over Rs 1 lakh in 10 minutes after his debit card details were used to make ATM withdrawals in Delhi though the card was in his possession. What makes the case serious is that Khan had last used his debit card in a private bank to deposit money into his wife’s newly opened account. In a complaint letter to Oshiwara police and BKC cyber police, he claimed that some bank staffers may have colluded with the accused to steal his money. Khan has written to the bank seeking a refund as well as CCTV footage of the Delhi ATM to identify the fraudster. The bank has asked him to wait for 90 days till they ascertain if the amount was fraudulently withdrawn. Police are yet to register an FIR; they have asked Khan to approach them only if the bank does not refund his money after 90 days.

 

On February 3, Khan, who is employed as legal manager with a car manufacturing firm, visited the bank’s Andheri Lokhandwala branch. “I had two accounts and wanted to shut one of them. I also wanted to open a fresh account for my wife. The staffers told me to deposit a minimum amount of Rs 10,000 into my wife’s account as opening balance. As I had not carried my cheque book, I paid using my debit card,” he said. The next day, at 6.37pm, Khan got a text about a withdrawal of Rs 10,000 through an ATM at Delhi. “I immediately called up the bank’s customer care, but the call didn’t go through. By then, I started receiving a flurry of texts of more cash being withdrawn. By 6.47pm, 11 withdrawals of Rs 10,000 each had been made from my account. I finally got through to customer care and asked them to block my card and at 7.15pm, I got an email from the bank confirming it had been blocked”.

 

 

Smart cops use CCTV and e-pad to find bag lost in auto

 

MUMBAI: A career counsellor who left in an auto a bag with Rs 1 lakh and students’ results got it back within five hours, thanks to quick thinking and action by the Tilak Nagar police. Dipesh Dedhia, 42, had boarded an auto from Vidyavihar station and was headed for his office around 1.20pm last Tuesday. “I usually carry just one bag, but that day I had two. I was answering a phone call when I walked into my office and immediately realized the other bag was still in the auto. I ran back, but the auto had left,” Dedhia told TOI. The bag contained fees given by his students and their career counselling results. Dedhia went back to the auto stand at the station. There, after learning about CCTV cameras along the stretch from drivers, he went to the Tilak Nagar police station. “Along with a constable, I sat and viewed the footage. I saw the auto I had boarded, but its registration number wasn’t very clear. Inspector Ashok Thube asked me to click pictures of the footage on my cellphone. Then we headed for Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT), which is a hub of autos and has a traffic police desk,” said Dedhia.

 

The traffic police use hand-held e-pads to key in a vehicle’s number and check if the owner had been challaned before. “We suggested that officers look up a combination of digits that appeared closest to the auto’s number plate. They keyed in the digits and found a car and an auto in their database. The auto had the same design engraved on its cover as the vehicle Dedhia had boarded,” said Thube. It was found that the auto had been challaned a couple of times in the past. With the confirmed registration number, Dedhia and constable Subhash Ghuge went to the Wadala RTO. Thube had given Ghuge a brief letter requesting RTO officials to part with the address of the auto’s owner. Finally, Ghuge and Dedhia reached a chawl in Ghatkopar. “Ghuge dialed the owner’s number. He agreed to call up his driver, who then met us,” Dedhia said. “I got the bag back by 5.45pm”.

 

 

CCTV grabs help police nab snatcher

 

 

NEW DELHI: The criminal who had snatched the earrings of several women in Uttam Nagar and Bindapur of west Delhi in the past few days has finally been nabbed by police with the help of CCTV footage. In all the three cases of snatching committed by the accused, Mujibul, the women sustained serious injuries. One of the victims had to undergo surgery of her ears. On February 13, a woman waiting for an autorickshaw near metro pillar 653 on the main Najafgarh-Uttam Nagar road complained to the cops that a man aged 25-30 years came from behind and snatched both her earrings. Her ears got injured in the process and she had to get them treated. In another incident, a 54-year-old woman complained that she had gone to purchase fruits in front of Uttam Nagar bus terminal around 2pm. While she was standing on the road divider between metro pillars 639 and 640, a man aged around 25-26 years came from behind, snatched her earrings and ran towards Uttam Nagar bus terminal. Even her ears got severely injured.

 

Police got a tip-off that the accused would come near Uttam Nagar East metro station and he was arrested from there. Initially, he tried to mislead the cops by saying that he used to stitch garments in a factory and wasn’t a criminal. However, when cops verified CCTV footage from the crime spot with the one at the clothing factory, they found the same man at both places. “During interrogation, he confessed to having committed the snatchings and said that he had committed a similar crime in Vikaspuri. A pair of earrings has been recovered from him. He said that he had sold the other earrings to a jeweller, Sudhir Soni,” said DCP (Dwarka) Atul Kumar Thakur.

 

 

Security Guard opens fire, foils jewellery heist

 

 

BENGALURU: Three machete wielding robbers targeting a jewellery showroom attacked a security guard, but beat a hasty retreat after his colleague opened fire in the air in Rajajinagar on Monday evening. They also allegedly lobbed low-intensity petrol bombs into the premises. The Chemmanur Jewellers outlet is located in Rajajinagar I Block. The shop had been targeted in 2012 when three bike borne miscreants had barged in and fled with 6kg gold. With the case still unsolved, police suspect the same gang may have struck again. Chetan Singh Rathore, deputy commissioner of police (North), said one security guard was injured in the incident. The armed robbers, wearing full-face helmets, fled the scene after the second guard opened two rounds of fire in the air.

 

The police officer said the robbers walked towards the shop around 6.20pm. They attacked Nanjappa, 55, guarding the shop, on the right hand with a machete. Hearing Nanjappa’s screams, his colleague Vijaya Kumar, 45, rushed to his help and opened two rounds of fire with his double-barrel gun. Sensing trouble, the robbers fled the scene. After they were informed of the incident, a Subramanya Nagar police team arrived at the spot and rushed Nanjappa to a hospital. “Nanjappa is out of danger,” Rathore said. Police suspect the robbers were on two bikes. Three teams of police have been formed to crack the case. Sources said the showroom is open from 10.30am to 8pm, and has eight employees and two security guards. Police said the shop had five staffers, including manager Shaju, at the time of the incident.

 

 

Paper unit fire sparks panic

 

KOLKATA: A factory at Beliaghata where paperboards are made was burnt to ashes and a worker was injured after a fire engulfed the premises on Sunday morning. Seven fire tenders took hours to bring the flames under control. The unit – located on Suren Sarkar Road – caught fire around 11.30am. Soon, black smoke started billowing out of the premises. Locals rushed to the spot and managed to bring water in buckets to douse the flames. “But huge amount of inflammable materials was kept inside the factory. When we reached the spot, we could not enter as fire had leapt out of the premises. One of the employees was inside when it caught fire. He managed to escape,” said Manoranjan Dutta, a resident. The first fire engine reached the spot within 30 minutes. Six more fire tenders were pressed into service.

 

 

Tamil Nadu: Woman killed, foreman injured in blast in fireworks factory

 

VIRUDHUNGAGAR: A woman was killed and a foreman seriously injured in an explosion at a private fireworks factory at Sengundrapuram in this district on Monday, police said. They said the explosion followed a fire at the unit, which gutted 15 sheds, killing the woman on the spot and seriously injuring the foreman. All the workers were evacuated, they said, adding it was not exactly clear how many workers were there at the unit at the time of the blast. The reason for the blasts was being ascertained, they said.

 

 

International News

 

 

Fire at one of Tibet’s most sacred sites for Buddhism

 

 

BEIJING: A fire broke out on Saturday night at one of the most sacred sites for Tibetan Buddhism, the world-famous Jokhang temple, near the Dalai Lama’s Potala Palace in Lhasa, Tibet. The government issued a brief statement saying no one was injured in the fire. The “Tibet Daily” quoted official sources as saying the fire was “quickly extinguished”. There was no official mention about the extent of damage to the 1,300-year-old temple or the cause of fire. The official “People’s Daily” said there had been “no damage to relics” in the temple. The incident happened a day before Losar, the Tibetan New Year, when many people visit the shrine.

 

Official reports said the temple was closed on Saturday. Photographs and videos posted on social media show the fire in one portion of the temple, one of the most hallowed places in Tibet, blazing in the night. Unconfirmed reports indicate there were valuable relics in the affected portion of the temple which may have been damaged. The fire has caused some surprises because the Jokhang temple is closely monitored by guards and security cameras because the local government is keen to curb protest demonstrations. Official reports did not explain which part of the six-acre temple premises had been affected. Social media reports indicate the fire may have occurred in a side hall that may be a housing area for monks.

 

 

Syrian Observatory: 71 dead in eastern Ghouta in past day

 

 

BEIRUT: Syrian government air strikes and artillery killed 71 people in the eastern Ghouta pocket near Damascus over the past 24 hours, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said on Monday. The Britain-based group said bombardment of the insurgent-held enclave started escalating on Sunday evening, wounding 325 people. There was no immediate comment from the Syrian military.


Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x