5 bouncers held for murder after hookah parlour brawl
MUMBAI: Five bouncers of a hookah parlour in Goregaon(W) were arrested on Monday in connection with the murder of a 25-year-old man outside the establishment early on Sunday. Police have also booked the owner of the hookah parlour and are going through the CCTV footage of the establishment to verify the sequence of events. The arrested accused —Atish Tambe (40), Anoop Pandey (27), Dipesh Nair (24), Pavan Adhav (25) and Riyaz Ansari (42)—have been booked for rioting and murder. Initially, police had registered an attempt to murder case, but later converted it to murder after the victim died in hospital. On Saturday night, Jogeshwari resident Mayur Panchal, who was an employee at a mobile phone shop in Powai, and his friends went to the hookah parlour located on SV Road for a birthday celebration. An altercation over a trivial issue with another group of youths snowballed and fisticuffs broke out.
“Around 6.15am on Sunday, the music was turned on and patrons started to dance on the dance floor. Panchal accidentally brushed someone from another group of youths and there was a scuffle. The bouncers intervened, roughed up both groups and threw them out of the establishment,” said a police officer. “When the bouncers continued to thrash them even on the road, Panchal and his friends protested,” added the police officer. “Soon, another altercation broke out between Panchal’s friends and the other group of youths. One of the youths stabbed Panchal in the abdomen with a sharp object. The accused and his friends then fled the spot.” Panchal’s friends rushed him to a public hospital, but he died during treatment. Police are looking for five youths, including the main accused who stabbed Panchal. They are regular’s patrons at the hookah parlour, said a police officer. “At least three of the wanted accused have criminal records against them. We have identified them and are looking for them,” a senior police officer said. Panchal, who lived in Shankarwadi in Jogeshwari (E) with his parents and sister, was the sole breadwinner of the family, said his relatives. His father used to work as a Security Guard.
650 dengue cases in a week
NEW DELHI: Delhi has registered 650 fresh cases of dengue in the past one week taking the total number of confirmed cases this year to 5,870. The death toll due to the disease, as per the latest report by municipal corporations, stands at three. No new deaths have been recorded, officials claimed. “We are looking into the details of some of the dengue deaths reported by hospitals. They will be included in the official list as when the committee confirms dengue as the cause of the deaths,” said an official. A 12-year-old boy was the first to die of dengue shock syndrome at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SGRH) on August 1. A 26-year-old Manipuri woman, Rhoda Daimai, living in south Delhi’s Sarita Vihar, died at the Holy Family Hospital in August, while 49-year-old Meena Devi, from Bihar, died on September 2 at the SGRH, the report stated. “September and October are peak months for the spread of dengue. The numbers will come down as winter sets in,” said a municipal health official. He said the current temperature is conducive for mosquito breeding.
Dr Rommel Tickkoo, senior consultant, internal medicine at Max Saket said that people must cover their body while going out and keep their surroundings clean. “Five out of 10 patients coming with fever are being diagnosed with dengue. This trend is likely to continue for another fortnight,” he said. Incidence of chikungunya has remained low this year with total 731 cases. Last year, Delhi witnessed an outbreak situation with almost nine times, 6,575 chikungunya cases, reported in the same corresponding period. However, municipal data reveals significant spike in the incidence of malaria. This year, the corporation said, 1,073 cases of the mosquito-borne disease have been reported compared to 593 last years. According to the World Health Organisation, about 3.2 billion people —nearly half of the world’s population —are at risk of malaria.
Karnataka bans riding pillion on 2 wheelers below 100 cc capacity
There should not be any seat for pillion riders in vehicles below 100 CC as mandated under Rule 143(3) of the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Rules – 1989, the court had said.
BENGALURU: Karnataka government has banned riding pillion on two-wheelers with engine capacity of less than 100 CC, giving effect to a 2015 court order. The transport department also banned registration of such vehicles. “Not only has the registration of such vehicles which have seats for pillion rider been banned but also riding pillion on two-wheelers below 100 CC is prohibited,” said a government order issued by the transport department on October 13 last. The order was issued based on a Karnataka High Court order in a case relating to the award of compensation to Hemanth, a minor riding pillion who was crippled for life following a road accident in Mysuru in March, 2009. Hemanth and Nithin, who was riding the two-wheeler without a licence, were both aged around 14 then. A recklessly driven car had crashed against their vehicle. While Nithin escaped with minor injuries, Hemanth was crippled for life with serious head injuries. In its June 15, 2015 order on a petition related to compensation claim by parents of Hemanth, the court had taken note of violations of rules and issued a slew of directions to the education and transport departments and the police to prevent minors from riding motor vehicles above 50 CC. It had directed that to avoid repetition of similar situation, the transport department should not register vehicles below 100 CC with a pillion seat attached to it and not permit riding pillion on such vehicles (already registered). There should not be any seat for pillion riders in vehicles below 100 CC as mandated under Rule 143(3) of the Karnataka Motor Vehicles Rules – 1989, the court had said.
2 local trains collide in East Midnapore
KOLKATA: A local train rammed into another stationary train on Sunday afternoon between the Khirai and Panskura stations in East Midnapore after the motorman of a Howrah-bound Balichak Local failed to gauge the distance between the two. A major accident was, however, averted as the Balichak Local was moving at a very slow speed. There were no serious injuries. While this may seem to be a case of signal overshooting, Balichak Local Motorman S Biswas was going by the book. His only mistake was that he failed to stop his train at a safe distance behind the one ahead. “As per an Indian Railways rule, in an automated signal section – as was the case between Khirai and Panskura – loco pilots or motormen of trains have to wait for a minute (during the day) at red signals before moving ahead at speeds not exceeding 15km/hr. They have to stop the train at a safe distance behind the one ahead though. A safe distance is considered ‘one clear mast’ or 65-75 metres. After dark, the waiting time is at least two minutes,” a senior railway official said. It seems Biswas did the same on Sunday. He came across a red signal and stopped for the stipulated minute before moving ahead. It was a bright day and he could spot the train ahead well in advance but chose to slow down at the last moment.
This reduced the distance between the trains and he rammed into the one in front. Under the circumstances, Biswas could be accused of violating the ‘safe distance’ clause but not of signal overshooting. “Several officials have spoken out against this rule on a number of occasions. A loco pilot or motorman can’t be given the authority to violate a red signal even in an automatic section. A motorman is alone in his cabin and there is nothing that stops him from moving ahead at speeds over 15km/hr. This happened on a clear day and the motorman must have spotted the Midnapore local as he succeeded in slowing down considerably. There would have been more damage even if the train was moving at 15km/hr. Consider the situation at night when there can be dense fog. What if the loco pilot or motorman fails to pick up the other train in his headlights in time and is over speeding? The consequence could be catastrophic,” another official said. He said that it doesn’t help in bringing two trains closer. “It is not as if the waiting time is reduced in any way. The train can’t proceed till the one in front receives a green signal and moves. By the time that train crosses the green signal, it turns to red once again, disallowing the driver of the next one to move ahead,” he said.
Thefts thwarted by alert citizens
AHMEDABAD: In two instances on October 21 and 22, alert citizens thwarted theft attempts in Anandnagar and Vastrapur areas. According to a complaint by Bhavesh Patel, a resident of Ghatlodia, he received a call at 2.15am on October 22 from police. His shop Live Console at Kalatirth Complex near Prernatirth Derasar was targeted as thieves had broken the locks on shutter and had kept a few bricks below it. “Upon inspection, it came to light that the thieves had also targeted an adjoining shop, a hospital and a grammar class by breaking or trying to break the locks. They also broke the siren of an ATM kiosk located in the same building,” said an Anandnagar police official. “However, no owner including Patel reported anything missing. Search for the thieves involved is on,” he said, adding that the alarm was raised by security guard at 2am. Prabhubhai Chaudhari, 53, a resident of Triveni Park near Surdhara Circle reported an incident to Vastrapur police. Chaudhari, a town planner in Surat, was returning home at 10.30pm on October 21 when he saw a person fleeing from the boundary wall of an adjoining residence. His son, along with a neighbours, gave chase to the suspect but he managed to flee. Chaudhari informed the house owner when he came to know that the thief had managed to rummage through the belongings but could not steal any valuables.
Typhoon leaves five dead after lashing Japan on election day
This aerial photo shows a collapsed road in Kishiwada, Osaka
TOKYO: A powerful typhoon left five dead, one missing and scores injured in Japan on Monday, moving northward off the Pacific coast after millions struggled to the polls for a national election. Authorities advised thousands living in coastal areas or near rivers to evacuate to shelters before Typhoon Lan, described as “very large and very strong”, hit Tokyo and surrounding regions. The typhoon had left the Japanese archipelago by about 9am (0000 GMT) after making landfall in Shizuoka southwest of Tokyo six hours before, the weather agency said. The storm, which had already dumped torrential rain over much of the country during the weekend, packed gusts up to 162 kilometres (100 miles) per hour, the meteorological agency said. Train operators suspended some commuter trains in Tokyo suburbs early Monday and cancelled some “Shinkansen” bullet trains in northern Japan after a blackout left passengers stranded overnight in the country’s central region. Nearly 300 flights scheduled for Monday have already been cancelled, public broadcaster NHK said, after strong winds forced 500 flights to be grounded Sunday. Some ferry services in western Japan were also cancelled as the weather agency warned of high waves, landslides and floods across the archipelago. The typhoon claimed its first victims Sunday as a male passer-by died when scaffolding collapsed on him at a construction site in Fukuoka in western Japan. Also in western Japan, a 70-year-old man was found dead in Yamaguchi after he dived into the sea to grab a rope from another vessel as he attempted to escape from his troubled boat, a coastguard told AFP. In Osaka prefecture, a man in his 80s died after being crushed under a blown-off shutter while a woman in her 60s was found dead in a submerged car, local officials said. A 29-year-old man was also found in a submerged car in the central prefecture of Mie.
Separately, a 61-year-old man has been missing in eastern Japan’s Ibaraki prefecture after he went fishing on Sunday. More than 130 people were injured across the nation, NHK said, while the central government has so far confirmed 97 injuries. Television footage showed rescuers tugging a rubber boat carrying an elderly woman in a residential area in Chiba southeast of Tokyo as a flooded river engulfed the area. Automaker Toyota said it would suspend operations at all domestic plants on Monday. On Sunday, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ordered his minister in charge of disasters to be ready to mobilise rescue and evacuation forces, including troops. “In order to protect people’s lives, the Abe cabinet will unite and do its best to provide an emergency response to a disaster,” he told reporters. Voters in the capital braved torrential rain and driving wind on election day, but turnout across the country was expected to be only a fraction higher than the all-time low, as people voted early to avoid the typhoon. Near complete projections Monday showed Abe’s ruling conservative coalition was on track to win a two-thirds “super-majority”. The foul weather did affect the election, with ferries to a remote island in the west cancelled due to high waves, forcing officials to suspend the counting of votes there. On Saturday, voters on remote southern islands in the path of the storm cast their ballots early, heeding a call from Abe.
Five-month battle with ISIS ends in Philippine city: Defence secretary
Damaged buildings are seen after troops cleared the area from pro-Islamic State militant groups
CLARK: A five-month battle against Islamic State supporters in the southern Philippines that claimed more than 1,000 lives has ended, the nation’s defence secretary said on Monday. “We now announce the termination of all combat operations in Marawi,” Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana told reporters on the sidelines of a regional security meeting in Clark, a northern Philippine city. Lorenzana said there were no more militants, known locally as coming from the Maute group, providing resistance following an intense final battle after which 42 bodies were recovered. “Those are the last group of stragglers of Mautes and they were caught in one building and so there was a firefight so they were finished,” he said “All terrorists, fighting troops. All hostages have been recovered”. Hundreds of gunmen who had pledged allegiance to IS rampaged through Marawi, the Islamic capital of the mainly Catholic Philippines, on May 23, then took over parts of the city using civilians as human shields. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte and security analysts said the militants were trying to establish a Southeast Asian caliphate in Marawi. The ensuing US-backed military campaign to evict the militants claimed more than 1,000 lives, displaced 400,000 residents and left large parts of Marawi in ruins. Duterte travelled to Marawi on Tuesday last week and declared the city had been “liberated”, shortly after the Southeast Asian leader for IS, a Filipino militant named Isnilon Hapilon, was shot dead there.
However the continued fighting raised questions over whether the city was indeed free of the militants. US Defence Secretary James Mattis today praised the Philippines for its success in Marawi. “One of the first things I’m going to do when I get there is commend the Philippine military for liberating Marawi from the terrorists,” Mattis told reporters on board a flight to the Philippines to attend the security meeting in Clark. “It was a very tough fight as you know in southern Mindanao (the local region). And I think the Philippine military sends a very strong message to the terrorists”. Hapilon, who was on the US government’s list of most- wanted terrorists, was killed along with one of group’s other leaders, Omarkhayam Maute, according to the military. Hapilon and Maute, along with hundreds of other militants, had been able to defy near daily bombing raids that left much of the city in ruins by sheltering in basements and travelling through tunnels, according to the military. The impoverished southern Philippines, home to many of the nation’s Muslim minority, has for decades endured conflict. The nation’s biggest Muslim rebel group is in talks with the government to end a rebellion that began in the 1970s and has claimed more than 120,00 lives.