News Flash – 06 July 2019

National News

 

 

Blaze at DGHS Building: Drill Helped in Evacuation

UP IN SMOKE: Though the building had fire safety measures in place, none of the fire alarms or hydrants was in working condition.

 

 

New Delhi: A major fire broke out at Directorate General of Health Services building in Karkardooma on Friday afternoon. The blaze was noticed by the employees on the sixth floor, where the fire started, which also has the office of the director of health services. No one was hurt in the incident. As many as 24 fire tenders and 60 firemen were deployed to contain the flames. It was found that though the building had fire safety measures in place, none of the fire alarms or hydrants was in working condition. Fire officials said that they were informed about the incident around 1.50pm, after which 22 fire tenders were sent to the scene. Employees said that the staff members of the director’s office had noticed the fire around 1.40pm and alerted the others. Employees said the floors were more or less empty since all the employees had gone to the canteen on the ground floor to have lunch.

 

 

The employees who were at their desks were asked to use the staircase to go down. However, there was panic among the people as the light was suddenly switched off and smoke started filling the hallways. “Fortunately, we had done a few fire safety drills a few weeks ago and followed the instructions accordingly. There was no problem in evacuation except that we had to leave valuable belongings at our floors,” said Prashant Kumar, an employee of one of the offices. Fire officials said that some of the employees had even tried to break open the hydrants and the alarm systems, but they had jammed as they were not being used. A probe has been initiated to figure out the source of the fire. Initial probe suggests that the fire broke out due to a short circuit in an air-conditioning unit.

 

 

Fire in Chandigarh Industrial Area Sweets Shop, Fireman injured

10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the flames

 

 

Chandigarh: A major fire broke out in a factory-cum-sweet shop namely Chandigarh Sweets (Plot no. 257) located in Industrial Area, Phase 1, around 10pm on Friday. A sub-fire officer got seriously injured due to movement of fire tenders at the spot and was rushed to PGI for treatment. His condition was stated to be stable till the filing of the report. The exact reason of the fire could not be ascertained till filing of the report, but sources revealed that a small fire converted into major fire within few minutes. Around 10 fire tenders from all fire stations of the city, Panchkula and Mohali were pressed into action to douse the flames. These tenders were taking multiple rounds to fetch water to douse the flames, but since the fire had engulfed most of the parts of the factory and its adjoining areas also, firemen were struggling to douse the flames and efforts were still continuing. “Sub-fire officer Jagdeep Singh got injured when fire tenders were moving around at the spot to control the fire. Singh received serious injuries on his arm and leg. He was taken to the PGI for the treatment. The exact cause of the fire has not been ascertained and our prime concern is to control the fire first,” said a fireman present at the spot.


Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x