News Flash – 11 June 2019

National News



Cyclone Vayu to turn severe, delay Rains


New Delhi: A storm for med over the Arabian Sea near Lakshadweep islands intensified into a deep depression on Monday and is likely to strengthen into a severe cyclonic storm by Wednesday. It will be heading northwestwards towards Gujarat and bringing widespread rain all along India’s western coast, the met department said. The storm, gathering strength from a warm sea, had turned into a deep depression on Monday and was set to attain the strength of a cyclone by Tuesday morning, when it will be called cyclone Vayu, a name given by India. The storm will peak on Thursday with winds gusting up to 135kmph over the sea. The India Meteorological Department issued an orange alert over cyclone Vayu, indicating that it doesn’t expect the storm to cause much damage on land, but it has warned fishermen from venturing into the sea till June 13. Since Vayu is moving north from close to India’s southern coast, it is expected to draw moisture away from the monsoon, which will likely remain stalled over the next few days.



Progress of the monsoon seems unlikely till June 15-16 because the cyclone will drag moisture away. It may move a bit through northeast India but major progress isn’t expected in that region too during this period,” said D Sivananda Pai, head of IMD’s long range forecasting. The monsoon arrived over Kerala on June 8, a week later than its normal date of June 1. On Monday, it moved to cover most parts of Kerala and some more parts of Tamil Nadu. In the northeast, it has covered most parts of Mizoram and some parts of Manipur. However, Vayu is expected to bring sweeping rain, with heavy to very heavy showers along the west coast till Friday. Its northward movement is likely to push moist sea winds into north India via Gujarat and Rajasthan, bringing light rain and relief from searing hot temperatures in the region, officials said. Cyclone may make landfall if it doesn’t recurve towards Pakistan. Gujarat, where the cyclone may make landfall, if it doesn’t recurve towards Pakistan, could get widespread heavy to very heavy showers at some places on Thursday and Friday.



Businessman loses Rs. 45,000 at Cash Deposit Machine



New Delhi: After targeting ATMs, fraudsters are now eyeing cash deposit machines installed by banks. A businessman from south Delhi recently lost around Rs 45,000 when he went in to deposit cash through a machine at a bank branch in south Delhi’s Jangpura. The victim, a resident of Pul Prahladpur, told cops that in May, he had gone to the bank to deposit the cash in his wife’s account. “When I deposited the cash in the machine, I surprisingly did not get any message on my phone confirming the transaction. I received a slip from the machine but it did not mention the amount deposited,” he said. There was a long queue at the machine and the man standing behind the businessman asked him to hurry up and suggested that he should check with the bank if there was anything wrong about the transaction, the victim said.



When he subsequently went to the bank, he was told that the amount was not showing in his wife’s account. The bank authorities also told him that the transaction was immediately cancelled. On checking the CCTV footage near the machine, it was found that the man behind the businessman had hurriedly pressed some buttons on the machine after sending him away. The suspect had cancelled the businessman’s transaction, collected the money and went away, the police said. It is also suspected that a few others standing nearby were part of the same gang. A fraud case has been registered against unknown men at Hazrat Nizamuddin police station. The cops have taken the CCTV footage from the bank and are trying to identify the men involved in the con job.



Phone snatchers who dragged man along road held

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Footage from a CCTV camera shows a bike dragging Saravanan (encircled in red) along the TTK Road.



Chennai: Police on Monday arrested three mobile snatchers, two of whom had dragged a man who had clung on to their bike on the Teynampet Road a week ago. Police said on June 2, Saravanan was walking on TTK Road when two men on a bike snatched his phone. But Saravanan chased them, got hold of the pillion rider and was dragged for a few metres. The entire incident was caught on CCTV cameras from which police collected footage. Police said the rider lost control of the bike and fell down but pushed Saravanan aside and fled. Though several motorists cross the stretch at the time of the incident, none helped the victim, police said. Saravanan, who was injured in the incident, underwent treatment at a nearby private hospital and then lodged a complaint at the Teynampet police station. Based on the complaint, police tracked down Kishore, Palani and Manikandan. They are all residents of PNK Garden in Mylapore. While Kishore and Palani rode the bike, Manikandan had tracked the victim, said an investigating officer. Police found out that they had used a stolen vehicle to target Saravanan. They had stolen the bike from a government employee who had parked it outside his house in Teynampet. An hour before snatching Saravanan’s phone, the gang had targeted another victim. They were involved in snatching eight phones in the past two months in Velachery, Teynampet and Abiramapuram, police said.



Stubble fire spreads to School, major Tragedy Averted

CLOSE ENCOUNTER: At least 150 students had a narrow escape as a fire that broke out at farmland spread till the school compound wall.



Chennai: Panic gripped students and staff of a private school in Mannivakkam as farmland, spread over three acres, caught fire, and spread till the compound wall of the school on Monday noon. At least 150 students had a narrow escape and were safely rushed out of the school campus. Though Narayana ETechno school in Mannivakkam near Guduvancherry is to be reopened after summer vacation on June 13, the school authorities were conducting special classes for Class X students. Police said at around 12.15 pm, some miscreants torched the dry grass on the farmland. The students suffered eye burn and respiratory irritation. The school security guards informed the school management about the fire, who in turn, evacuated the students to a safe place. Learning about the incident, many parents rushed to the school. Kanishka, a parent of a student, said, “I rushed to the school, after seeing smoke bellowed to more than 500 metres. We all panicked as rumours spread that the school caught fire”. Fire and rescue team rushed to the spot and put down the fire after battling for about three hours. Thick smoke over the area caused eye irritation to the locals too. “Since it was summer, the fire spread quickly. It was very tough to bring the fire under control. We had to ensure the children were safe,” said a fire safety official.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x