News Flash – 14 May 2019

National News



Failed Robbery Bid: Police Arrest Cash Van Driver



New Delhi: Two days after a robber was killed while trying to rob a cash van near Pul Prahladpur, police arrested the cash van driver, the mastermind of the plan. It was found that the driver, Lokesh, had tipped off the criminals about the movement of cash and had left the rear door of the vehicle unlocked for the robber, Nandu, to enter. However, things went wrong as the gun used by the guard went off during the scuffle and hit Nandu. During probe it was found that Nandu was in touch with Lokesh minutes before the incident. Nandu’s family members, who stay in Tughlaqabad, alleged that Lokesh had lured him to rob the cash along with his friends Sonu and Anand. As per the plan, Lokesh had decided to slow down the cash van near the Pul Prahladpur traffic signal and unlock the rear door using the central locking system so that Nandu could enter the car and flee with the cash bag. Nandu was supposed to throw chilli powder while fleeing. However, Nandu first got into a scuffle with the cashier and then the gunman, during which the gun went off.



Fire Guts Furniture Unit, loss Pegged at Rs.2.5 Crores

UP IN FLAMES: A furniture factory in Moghul-ka-Nala in Rajendranagar caught fire on Monday.



Hyderabad: A massive fire broke out at a furniture manufacturing unit near pillar number 102 of PVNR Expressway at Moghul-ka-Nala in Rajendranagar on Monday. There were no casualties, but the unit owner claimed he suffered property loss worth Rs.2.5 crore. Around 10.30am, a fire broke out at the furniture manufacturing facility and within minute’s flames engulfed the entire unit, said fire department officials. As huge flames with thick smoke billowed out of the unit, onlookers gathered near the site. Unit owner Abdul Kaleem told TOI that there was a delay on the part of the fire officials to reach the spot and that led to extensive property damage. “We are into the business of making furniture, including tables and sofas. Usually, workers come in at 11 am. When the fire broke out, there was only one worker. On seeing the fire spreading, he ran out,” Kaleem said. The officials had to press in six fire tenders to douse the blaze.



International News



Social media blocked, curfew across Lanka amid violence

A mosque in Kiniyama was attacked by a mob. A state of emergency has been in place since the Easter bombings and security forces have been given sweeping powers to arrest and detain suspects for long periods.



Colombo: Sri Lanka’s government imposed a nationwide curfew on Monday and temporarily blocked social media following a flare-up of communal violence in apparent response to last month’s Easter attacks that killed nearly 260 people, officials said. Acting police chief C D Wickramaratne said the violence started with a few shops being stoned in the northwestern town of Kuliyapitiya on Sunday. It was soon brought under control, but on Monday mobs carried out violence on a bigger scale and the riots spread to new areas in the island nation, he said. He warned that those arrested for breaching the law could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Police said the curfew would be enforced until further notice in the country’s northwestern region, and until Tuesday morning in the rest of the nation Army chief Mahesh Senanayake said the troops have been instructed to deal very strictly with those who defy the curfew. The army will shoot on sight if anyone defy the order, he added.



PM Ranil Wickremesinghe in an address to the nation said the military has been asked to quell the anti-Muslim riots and urged public cooperation to the security forces to bring the situation under control. “The forces have been given full powers to deal with those who violate the state of emergency and the island wide curfew.” He also urged the public not to believe rumours. The Lankan government also re-imposed a ban on social media following the violent clashes between the minority Muslim and majority Sinhalese communities. The blockade of Facebook and WhatsApp comes a day after police imposed curfew in the coastal town of Chilaw where a mob attacked a mosque and some shops owned by Muslims in a dispute that started on a Facebook post by a Muslim shop owner. Colombo previously blocked social media several times after the April 21 blasts to prevent the spread of false reports.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x