News Flash – 15 May 2019

National News



Withdrawing Rs.500 from ATM leads to arrest of Four Carjackers

Cops went to the ATM where the cash was withdrawn and took out the grabs of the accused who had withdrawn the money.



New Delhi: After taking a businessman captive at gunpoint in his car in northeast Delhi’s Shastri Nagar, four interstate carjackers made a fatal error. Two of them went to an ATM with the victim’s card to withdraw cash. Unaware that the ATM camera had captured their faces, the duo withdrew Rs 500 and left. Later, they threw the businessman out of the car near Civil Lines and sped away towards Meerut. DCP (northeast) Atul Kumar Thakur said that a team led by inspector Vinay Yadav arrested the four men Gulzar alias Shahrukh, Jareef alias Habib Ahmed, Gulzar alias Bhura and Safiq alias Musa and recovered the Swift Dzire. The incident occurred on April 27 morning when the victim, Sunil Verma (32), was waiting in his car for a milk truck. Verma, who runs a dairy business, told police that a man on a motorcycle stopped next to his car and knocked on the window. The man forced him to open the car and got inside. Three more men soon came and held Verma captive. One of the criminals took control of the wheel and started driving.



During the journey, the criminals forced Verma to reveal his ATM PIN and stopped at Kashmere Gate. Two of the carjackers then withdrew Rs 500 from the ATM. Later, they threw him out at Rajpur Road in Civil Lines and drove away with the car. The investigating team went to the ATM where the cash was withdrawn and took out the grabs of the two men who had withdrawn the money. They then circulated the images among other teams. It was found that the men belonged to Shariq alias Sata gang, one of the largest gangs of vehicle thieves in north India. Jareef was arrested from Loni after which the other members were nabbed. During interrogation, it was found that the gang members had been using the car themselves as they had its original documents.



Cops get Skimmer Alert, lie in wait and nab Nigerian Couple


Mumbai: A Nigerian couple was arrested by the Samta Nagar police on Sunday for fitting a skimmer and micro camera on an ATM. The police said the duo, Isahi Sayi, 34, and Rosy Mogi, 37, may be living illegally in India as their passports couldn’t be found at their house. On Saturday, a citizen noticed something amiss about the card slot of an ATM at Thakur Village. He informed the bank staff who conducted an inspection and found a micro camera and skimmer attached to the machine. Around 8.30pm the same day, a bank official registered a police complaint. The police then formed four teams and posted them outside the ATM kiosk. Two cops, dressed as guards, took charge of the kiosk and stood at the door, while the others stayed not too far in civvies. Around 2am on Sunday, Sayi walked into the kiosk. Minutes later, he stepped out looking confused and as the police closed in, he tried to flee in an auto. When the police followed him, he jumped out of the auto and tried to flee on foot. Cops nabbed him after a kilometre-long chase.



Sayi told the police about the involvement of his girlfriend (Mogi), who too was arrested. Both live in Nalasopara, the police said. The couple was booked under provisions of IPC for cheating, besides the Information Technology Act. The police said the couple initially refused to cooperate. “They said they could not speak Hindi or English. We even got an interpretor,” said senior inspector Raju Kasbe, Samta Nagar police station. The duo also pretended they had nothing to do with the crime. The police have recovered two mobiles, three inoperative debit cards for cloning, a skimmer and a micro camera. Bank officials told the police that data of at least 25 customers had been stolen. “We are probing if the couple has been booked for similar crimes in the past. They have been sent to police custody till May 17.” said the official.



CCTV Camera footage helps nab Two for Stealing Jewellery



Chennai: Two men who picked up a wallet lying on road containing 19 sovereign’s gold jewellery worth Rs.4.5 lakhs, were arrested with the help of CCTV camera footage. On May 4, S Sripriya, 49, of Meeran Sahib Street, off Anna Nagar, was returning from Tiruttani in an autorickshaw when she found that her wallet containing Rs.1,500 and19 sovereigns of jewellery was missing. She lodged a complaint at the Chintadripet police station. She suspected the autorickshaw driver. However, police found him to be innocent. Police formed special teams and checked CCTV camera footage in the locality. Police found that the wallet which was lying in the middle of the road was picked up by two men on bike who were crossing the stretch. They were traced with the help of their vehicle registration number. During questioning, P Parthasarathy, 34, of Korukkupet, a driver by profession and his helper A Kalaiselvan, 49, of Vyasarpadi, confessed to having picked up the bag. They had hidden the jewellery and planned to sale the same off later, police said. The valuables were recovered and the two remanded.



Fire engulfs terrace of hospital in Vadodara

Around 10 patients were rescued and rushed to other hospitals.



Vadodara: A major fire broke out on terrace of a private hospital near Sulemaani Chawl on Waghodiya Road on Tuesday evening. Around 10 patients, their relatives and the hospital’s staff were rescued amid panic situation. Two patients were in ICU while eight others were in different wards and rooms. They were rushed to other hospitals in the area in different ambulances. The fire broke out the terrace of the Faith Hospital run by Dr Mohammed Hussain around 7 pm. The medical store and a storage area on the terrace were completely gutted in the incident. The fire was, however, limited to the terrace, but the smoke had spread down on the fourth floor through the staircases. It took around two hours to douse the blaze completely. Fire officials got different versions about the reason for the fire. While some eye-witnesses said that short-circuit in solar panel sparked the fire, others said that food was being cooked on the terrace and that caused the fire. The fire was first sighted by a traffic sub-inspector who was deployed near Sulemaani Chawl traffic point. “I saw something burning, but I found it normal. Few seconds later, the fire had gained giant form so I rushed to the top along with other cops present with me,” said traffic sub-inspector Jaya Parmar. The hospital had fire extinguishers but there was no fire-fighting system.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x