News Flash – 17 October 2019

National News



Three held for Rs.15 Lakhs Burglary in South Delhi



New Delhi: A gang of burglars who had allegedly broken into the house of the principal of a private school in south Delhi and fled with Rs 15 lakh were caught from Badarpur. It was found that the burglars would travel in a Scorpio car and would commit burglaries during the day. While committing a burglary in Vishwakarma colony in July, they had also stolen a licensed pistol of an ex-serviceman. The accused have been identified as Ashraf (30), Aabid (34) and Samir Husain (23). Police said that on Monday, they received information that a gang of burglars would be moving around in a Scorpio car in the evening. The police put in place special pickets at the Mehrauli Badarpur road and nabbed the men. The cops seized a pistol, cash worth around a lakh and an iron-rod. The men told police that they chose a Scorpio to look classy and to avoid being stopped by people at security gates of any society. The gang allegedly targeted only locked houses to avoid suspicion.



Labour Department to Cancel Licence of Security Firm



Bengaluru: A day after a 40-year CEO of a security agency was arrested for allegedly assaulting two of his employees, the labour department on Wednesday said that it will cancel the licence of the firm. On Tuesday, Saleem Khan, 40, from Assam and CEO of Bangalore Security Force (BSF), Sector 1, HSR Layout, was arrested. Khan on Monday allegedly assaulted Faizuddin and Raizuddin, both from Assam and employees of BSF for a year. A video of him kicking the duo went viral. Labour minister S Suresh Kumar said, “I have directed the labour department to cancel the registration certificate issued to the firm under Karnataka Shops and Commercial Establishments Act and Rules.” HSR Layout police arrested Khan under IPC sections 342 (punishment for wrongful confinement), 307 (attempt to murder) and149 (unlawful assembly).



City Tourists Lost Cash & Phones in Puri Hotel Theft


Bhubaneswar: Breaching CCTV cameras and security guards, an unidentified miscreant allegedly sneaked into a seaside hotel in Puri in the early hours of Wednesday and stole nearly Rs 1lakh in cash and at least three cell-phones from two adjoining rooms occupied by a Kolkata-based businessman and his family and a Siliguri advocate and his wife. Saurav Chatterjee (36), the businessman from Kolkata, has lodged a complaint with the Baliapanda police station. Advocate Milon Sarkar, too, has lodged a formal police complaint, sources said. Saurav’s parents were in sleep when the burglar entered the room from the balcony and decamped with the cash. Chatterjee along with his six others from his family checked into the hotel on Monday and booked three rooms on the first floor till Friday night. The burglars also targeted the next room stealing nearly Rs 25,000 and three cell-phones from the elderly Siliguri couple. “I booked three rooms (213, 312 and 313) through an online travel aggregator. My parents were in room 213 where the burglary occurred. My mother woke up to the shocking loot around 3am. She suffers from insomnia. But even she didn’t realise a thing, which makes us suspect that the burglar perhaps applied a sedative nasal spray on my parents, who failed to hear any noise in the room. The attitude of the hotel authorities was nonchalant. We had requested the hotel authorities to change our rooms after this incident but they did not heed our request,” Chatterjee told TOI.



“We cannot imagine burglary at the presence of guests in a hotel room. I suspect role of insider behind the offence. We are still at a loss as to how the thief gained access to the room,” he said. Saurav said he checked the CCTV cameras of the hotel and found a man climbing the room’s balcony. He said the man’s face looked hazy. According to sources, advocate Sarkar had his wife had checked in the hotel before the Chatterjee family. They were supposed to check-out on Monday morning. Sources said they have complained to police that they have lost Rs 25,000 in cash and three cell-phones. They had also filed a formal complaint. Hotel Sonar Bangla general manager Pralaya Bhattacharya said they are cooperating with the police in the investigation. “We never encountered such a crime in our hotel. Police should catch the culprit. Perhaps the guests had left the balcony door open before going to sleep. The balcony is close to our generator room,” Bhattacharya said. Hotel sources also said the burglar may have gained access through the back window, which only has a sliding glass pane. Baliapanda police station’s inspector-in-charge Chinmay Rout said CCTV camera footages are being examined. “We are questioning the hotel staff, security guards and others, who were in night duty,” Rout told TOI.



Dengue Peaks, City Hospitals Wait-list, Turn Away Patients



Chennai: The spike in dengue and fever cases has left many city hospitals, particularly those treating children, struggling to accommodate more patients. Some have been forced to stop new admissions. On Friday, two private hospitals turned away a 10-yearold patient because they had run out of beds. The child’s aunt, Datri G, said her niece had high temperature and was suspected to have dengue. “We haven’t got the blood report yet but doctors said it was better to get her admitted. But it was difficult to get any beds,” she said. Doctors at Kanchi Kamakoti Childs Trust Hospital said they could make arrangements for children to be admitted to other hospitals. “We are running full despite admitting only children who require institutional care,” said medical director Dr S Balasubramanian. In the past few days, the hospital ran out of beds several times and had to call other hospitals to take in very sick patients, or ask patients to wait till a bed was available. Paediatric intensivists in the city have formed an informal group on social media to check on availability of beds for patients requiring intensive care. “Critical patients are stabilised in emergency rooms and shifted to hospital where beds are available.



Sometimes duty doctors and paramedics also accompany the patient,” said a senior doctor at Mehta Hospital. In the past one month, the directorate of public health has recorded a 60% spike in fever cases across the state. On an average, 5,000 fever cases and 350 dengue cases are recorded every day across Tamil Nadu. “Of these, at least 200 dengue cases are brought to Chennai hospitals for treatment. Besides Chennai, we are seeing an increase in patients from Kancheepuram and Tiruvallur,” said director of public health Dr K Kolandaisamy. Although viral fever and dengue affect people of all ages, at least 70% of the cases reported are children below 12. “It is because they have a bigger exposure to mosquito genic conditions and lower immunity,” he said. Greater Chennai Corporation has intensified vector control measures at schools, playgrounds and public spaces. “Our aim is to create awareness. But if people do not cooperate, we have been asked to fine them. We have been visiting schools and other educational institutions besides people’s houses,” said a senior health official.



Burglars Took 4 Days to Drill Hole in Jewellery Shop Wall, say Cops



Trichy: The Trichy police said on Wednesday that the burglars who struck Lalithaa Jewellery had chiseled a hole through the wall for at least four days before gaining entry to the store in the early hours of October 2 and taking away 30kg of gold, diamond and platinum ornaments worth Rs.12.31 crores. “The hole was not drilled in a day. They did it bit by bit for four to five days. Security personnel at the shop did not notice the damage because the wall was covered by the compound wall,” commissioner of police A Amalraj told reporters on Wednesday. While the mastermind Tiruvarur Murugan surrendered in Bengaluru and his nephew P Suresh at the Chengam court in Tiruvannamalai, the police arrested C Ganesan from Madurai and recovered 6.1kg gold ornaments from him. The trio undertook a recce of the store several times after which they gained confidence that they can commit the offence without being caught, said the commissioner.



“They were outside and inside the store several times before committing the burglary,” he told TOI. The commissioner also said apart from the three people who were at the spot to commit the burglary, several others helped them. He said the accused were involved in some other offences too. “We are taking steps to get them punished for all offences,” he said. The petition seeking the custody of Tiruvarur Murugan has already been submitted to the prison authorities in Bengaluru where Murugan has been jailed. “After Karnataka police complete their inquiry with Murugan, we will take him into custody for further probe and recover the remaining jewellery,” said Amalraj Trichy police had already recovered 4.75kg of gold jewellery worth Rs.1.76 crores from E Manikandan, 34, of Madappuram in Tiruvarur and P Kanagavalli, 57, of Seera Thoppu in Tiruvarur after arresting them on October 5. Kanagavalli is the sister of Murugan and P Suresh is her son.



International News



Thief Walks Out of US Gallery with $20,000 Dali Etching


La Girafe en Feu’ (The Giraffe on Fire), a limited-edition hand-coloured 1960s surrealist etching by Salvador Dali, had been sitting on an easel at San Francisco gallery when it was taken on Sunday.



San Francisco (US): For an art heist, it was a simple affair. A man ducked into a San Francisco gallery and walked out less than a minute later holding one of its best pieces: a $20,000 (approximately Rs 14,00,00) Salvador Dali etching. “I was alone at the gallery and turned my back for a minute, and when I looked, it was gone,” Rasjad Hopkins, an associate director of the gallery, said on Tuesday. “I never saw the person”. The artwork, a limited-edition hand-coloured 1960s surrealist etching titled “La Girafe en Feu,” or “The Giraffe on Fire,” had been sitting on an easel at the gallery, Dennis Rae Fine Art, when it was taken on Sunday. Normally, the Spanish artist’s work would be tethered to the easel, Hopkins said, but on the day of the theft it was not. A security camera in the gallery was not turned on at the time.



But surveillance footage of the incident obtained by ABC7 News shows a man in a blue cap and a blue Nike shirt enter the gallery, with a second person in pink pants waiting outside. The man then appears to make his escape with the etching in his right hand. The piece is one of seven original etchings from a suite of work influenced by Pablo Picasso known as “Tauromachie Surrealiste”, which translates to “Surrealist bullfighting.” “It could be quickly identified,” said Joan Kropf, chief curator at the Dali Museum in Florida. The piece was insured and the gallery had obtained it from a French museum, Hopkins said. Galleries who recognise the work as stolen may report it to authorities. Pawn shops often ask for identification. The thief could try to start a bidding war on eBay, which could bring the wrong kind of attention. Or he could simply install it in his living room and admire it.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x