News Flash – 2 March 2020

National News

 

 

2 Arrested for Rs.70k Theft from Navi Mumbai ATM

 

 

Navi Mumbai: Sanpada police have arrested two men for allegedly stealing Rs 70,000 from an Axis Bank ATM in Juinagar. The police identified the key accused as Suyog Dhivar, the manager of the agency appointed by the bank for their ATM repair and maintenance, and the other as Jhonson Shetty, a taxi driver. The police said Dhivar gave the key to the ATM to Shetty who then removed cash from the machine. Assistant sub-inspector Rahul Raul said, “Dhivar would insert a rubber material in the ATM’s cash dispenser which would cause the cash to get stuck in a partition instead of falling into the tray. The bank would then call the agency to fix the ATM. Thereafter, Dhivar would send his Shetty to repair the ATM, and he would pocket the stuck cash”.

 

 

3 Killed in Collision Between 2 Goods Train in MP District

MANGLED REMAINS: A coalladen train collided with an empty goods train near Ghanhari village in Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh on Sunday.

 

 

Singrauli: Three people were killed after two goods trains collided near a village in Madhya Pradesh’s Singrauli district on early Sunday morning, police said. The track on which the accident occurred is managed by the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) for coal transportation from Madhya Pradesh to Uttar Pradesh, a police officer said. The accident occurred around 4.40am when a coalladen train heading towards Uttar Pradesh from Amlori mine in Madhya Pradesh collided with an empty goods train near Ghanhari village, located around 7kms from here, Singrauli additional superintendent of police, Pradeep Shende said. Thirteen wagons of one of the trains and an engine jumped off the tracks following the collision. Three bodies have been pulled out from the engine so far, the officer said. The deceased were identified as Ramlakhan Bais, 29, a local resident, Rasheed Ahmed, 65, and Mandeep Kumar, 26, both hailing from Uttar Pradesh, he said, adding that they seem to be the locomotive drivers of the trains and a points-man. It seems the accident occurred either due to an error on part of the drivers or because of some fault in signaling, Shende said. The mishap has not affected rail passenger traffic as it occurred on the track exclusively used by the NTPC to ferry coal for power generation, he added. Meanwhile, East Central Railway’s chief public relations officer (CPRO), Rajesh Kumar, in a statement said the Indian Railways has nothing to do with the accident. He said the accident took place in the merry go round (MGR) system completely owned and operated by NTPC, Rihand. The NTPC is investigating the matter.

 

 

5 Killed in Sonbhadra Mine Collapse

 

 

Varanasi: Three more bodies were recovered around 4am on Sunday, two days after a stone mine collapsed on seven workers in Billi Markundi area of Sonbhadra. While two labourers were brought out alive on the day of the collapse, bodies of the remaining five have been recovered in a two day-long rescue operation. The state government has announced Rs.4 lakhs compensation for each of the kin of deceased and Rs. 50,000 to those injured. District officials said the last rites of labourers Gulab, Ram Prahlad and Shivcharan were completed after autopsy. “As all bodies buried under debris have been recovered, rescue operation has been stopped,” said Sonbhadra district magistrate S Rajalingam. Representing CM Yogi Adityanath, UP primary education minister Satish Chandra Dwivedi went to Sonbhadra and enquired about the condition of two injured labourers at the hospital and met families of the victims. Directives have been issued to initiate stern action against those found responsible for the mine collapse.

 

 

International News

 

 

Oz, Thailand Report 1st Deaths; Italy sees 40% Jump in Cases

The coronavirus epidemic shut down France’s Louvre Museum on Sunday, with workers who guard its famous trove of artworks fearful of being contaminated by the museum’s flow of tourists from around the world. Art lovers were unable to visit the Louvre as workers staged a walkout after a staff meeting about the outbreak. ‘The risk is very, very, very great,’ Andre Sacristin, a Louvre employee and union representative, said. ‘While there are no known virus infections among the museum’s 2,300 workers, it’s only a question of time,’ he said. Almost three-quarters of the Louvre’s 9.6 million visitors last year came from abroad.

 

 

China: The number of countries hit by the coronavirus climbed past 60 on Sunday, and infections and deaths continued to mount around the globe, emptying streets of tourists and workers, shaking economies and rewriting the realities of daily life. In Paris, the Louvre Museum closed, and priests stopped placing sacramental bread in worshippers’ mouths. Panic buying of daily necessities emerged in Japan. Tourist sites across Asia, Europe and the Mideast were deserted. And governments closed schools and banned big gatherings. Australia and Thailand reported their first deaths on Sunday, while the Dominican Republic (first in tourist-rich Caribbean), Ireland and the Czech Republic recorded their first cases. Iran, Iraq, Italy and South Korea, among other places, saw the number of infections rise. More than 87,000 people worldwide have been infected, and nearly 3,000 have died. The US on Saturday recorded its first death, a man in his 50s in Washington state who had underlying health problems but who hadn’t travelled to any affected areas. Rhode Island reported its first “presumptive positive” virus case, a man in his 40s who had recently travelled to Europe. “Additional cases in the US are likely, but healthy individuals should be able to fully recover,” President Trump said at a Saturday briefing, where officials announced heightened warnings about travel to certain regions of Italy and South Korea as well as a ban on travel to Iran.

 

 

Trump also vowed travellers from countries at high risk of the virus would be screened before boarding and upon arrival. China, where the outbreak began two months ago, on Sunday reported a slight uptick in new cases over the past 24 hours to 573, the first time in five days that the number exceeded 500. They remain almost entirely confined to the hardest-hit province of Hubei and its capital, Wuhan. South Korea reported 210 additional cases and two more deaths from the virus, raising its totals to 3,736 cases and 20 fatalities. South Korea has the second-largest number of infections outside. Iran’s toll from Covid-19, the disease the virus causes, climbed to 54 as the number of cases jumped overnight by more than half, to 978 people. The new figures represent 11 more deaths than reported on Saturday and 385 new cases. Italy said on Sunday that the number of people infected has risen 40% to 1,576 in 24 hours, while another five infected people have died. British authorities said the number of people confirmed as infected rose by 12, bringing the country’s tally to 35, with one death. Most of the new cases involved people who had been in Italy or Iran. The number of people infected in Germany jumped sharply to 129, having doubled from 66 on Saturday. The virus has prompted cancellations or of several sporting events.


Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x