News Flash – 20 May 2019

National News

 

 

Bomb Scare at Metro Station

 

 

New Delhi: There was high drama at Seelampur metro station in northeast Delhi on Saturday evening when an unattended bag near the tracks led to the suspicion of a bomb. One of the passengers informed CISF personnel about the bag after which the area was cordoned off for 15 minutes. After an extensive search, it was found that the bag did not contain any explosives, but only cash and other valuables. Security personnel later contacted its owner and handed over the bag to him. The owner of the bag said the money was for the treatment of his mother and that he had mistakenly left it at the metro station. According to CISF officials, a passenger saw an unattended bag and alerted ASI Ratan Singh, who was the shift in-charge at the station. Singh immediately asked nearby passengers to disperse from the area and informed a bomb disposal squad to check the contents of the bag. After ascertaining that there was no dangerous item inside, the bag was opened in the presence of station controller and cash amounting to Rs 1.25 lakh and some documents were found in it. An hour later, a passenger came to the station and inquired about his bag. He was taken to the station controller’s room and after proper verification, the bag was handed over to him.

 

 

Grocery Shop Looted, House Burgled; Gold & Cash Stolen

 

 

Chennai: Groceries and cash totaling Rs. 40,000 were burgled from a grocery store in Ayanavaram in the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday, police said. Police said Gopi, 47, of Palayam Pillai Street in Ayanavaram runs a grocery store in the same area. On Saturday, he shut his store and left for home. When he returned on Sunday morning, he found that the lock securing the shop’s door was broken open. A shocked Gopi rushed inside and found that the cash box was lying open with the cash stolen. A significant amount of his stock was also missing from the shop. He rushed to the Ayanavaram police station and registered a case. Police reached the spot and surveyed the area. With CCTV cameras installed, police said they were positive about solving the case very soon. In a separate case, an employee of a private firm in Melmaruvathur returned home on Sunday morning to discover that his house had been burgled and 15 sovereigns of gold and Rs. 2,000 cash kept in a safe were stolen. Police said Balamurugan, a resident of Lakshmi Nagar in Kesavaranarayanapuram, filed the complaint. The lock on his front door was broken open in this case as well.

 

 

International News

 

 

Bomb Hits Tourist Bus near Giza Pyramids, 17 Hurt

Officials inspect a bus that was damaged by a bomb in Cairo on Sunday. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. It is the second time foreign tourists were targeted near the famed pyramids in less than six months. In December, a bus carrying 15 Vietnamese tourists was hit by a roadside bomb, killing three.

 

 

Cairo: An explosion targeting a tourist bus injured at least 12 people on Sunday, mostly South African tourists, near a new museum being built close to the Giza pyramids in Egypt, two security sources said. A third security source said the bus was carrying 25 South African tourists from the airport to the pyramid, and that four Egyptians in a car were also injured by broken glass. Pictures posted on social media showed a bus with some windows blown out or shattered, and debris in the road next to a low wall with a hole in it. One witness said he heard a “very loud explosion”. The explosion happened a few hundred metres away from the Grand Egyptian Museum, not far from the site of a blast that hit another tourist bus in December.

 

 

The museum is due to open next year as the new home for some of the country’s top antiquities on a site adjoining the Pyramids. It is part of an effort to boost tourism, a key source of foreign revenue for Egypt. The sector has been recovering after tourist numbers dropped in the wake of a 2011 uprising and the 2015 bombing of a Russian passenger jet. There was no damage to the museum from the blast, which happened 50 metres from its outer fence and more than 400 metres from the museum building, the antiquities ministry said. No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the attack. It is the second to target foreign tourists near the famed pyramids in less than six months. In December, a bus carrying 15 Vietnamese tourists was hit by a roadside bomb, killing at least three of them.


Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x