Dengue Crisis Worst in Three Decades: Doctors
Hyderabad: Doctors who participated in a round-table discussion here on how to check the spread of dengue unanimously slammed the state government for not acknowledging the precariousness of the health situation in the city. It is a cause for concern that dengue, which was until recently not a major concern in the city, has become an alarming health threat, doctors at the event organised by Institute of Engineers said. “The first step by the state should be to accept the situation. Cases of dengue and chikungunya have been increasing since mid-June this year. Though we have had cases every year, never has it been so bad in the last three decades,” said Dr Vasant Kumar, general physician. “We have not seen the manifestation of the vector-borne disease in such a manner. The cases coming out now show different symptoms. Several affected pregnant women show few symptoms dissimilar with pregnancy nothing more than nausea etc. By the time we diagnose dengue, the foetus would have been affected.
In one such case, a six-week pregnant woman had a spontaneous abortion within days of being diagnosed with dengue,” said Dr Vijaya Lakshmi, a senior gynecologist and obstetrician. Many said doctors and hospitals are under stress due to the large number of fever cases pouring in. Awareness campaigns and preventive measures such as fogging are not adequate said most. “The burden of the crisis has fallen entirely on the medical fraternity which is struggling to bear the burden. It is doctors who are being blamed for the deaths though the government is controlling private hospitals from sharing data on the disease,” said Karuna Gopal, president Futuristic Cities and chairperson of the round-table talk. Times View: The government will not be able to fight against dengue effectively by merely conducting health camps. It’s time to give serious thought to views by leading experts on conducting dengue rapid tests for faster results. Local corporators and health officials, down to the booth level, must be mobilized, especially in vulnerable areas of the city, to ensure better results.
“Gas Leak” Sparks Panic in Mumbai Suburbs
Mumbai: A gas leak was suspected after residents across the city’s suburbs reported an unusual smell hanging in the air on Thursday. The BMC disaster and fire control rooms were inundated with calls from Powai, Kandivli, Dahisar, Chembur, Borivli, Goregaon, Vile Parle and other places after 10.30pm. Many also took to social media. Many buildings were evacuated after people failed to detect the source. An official from piped gas supplier Mahanagar Gas Ltd said there was no issue with pipelines as far as they could ascertain. “Our emergency team is checking further,” he said. The BMC disaster control room alerted RCF plant at Chembur, which denied any leakage.
US Drone Strike Kills 30 Civilians in Afghanistan
TALIBAN BOMBING HITS HOSPITAL, KILLS 20: A powerful early morning suicide truck bomb devastated a hospital in Afghanistan on Thursday, killing as many as 20 people and wounding more than 90, an official said. The Taliban, who claimed responsibility for the bombing, have carried out nearly daily attacks since peace talks with the US collapsed earlier this month. The explosion destroyed part of the hospital in Qalat and left a fleet of ambulances broken and battered.
Jalalabad: A US drone strike intended to hit an Islamic State hideout in Afghanistan killed at least 30 civilians resting after a day’s labour in the fields, officials said on Thursday. The attack on Wednesday night also injured 40 people after accidentally targeting farmers and labourers who had just finished collecting pine nuts at mountainous Wazir Tangi in Nangarhar province, three Afghan officials said. “The workers had lit a bonfire and were sitting together when a drone targeted them,” tribal elder Malik Rahat Gul told Reuters by telephone. Afghanistan’s defence ministry and a senior US official in Kabul confirmed the drone strike, but did not share details of civilian casualties. “US forces conducted a drone strike against IS terrorists in Nangarhar,” said Colonel Sonny Leggett, a spokesman for US forces in Afghanistan. “We are aware of allegations of the death of non-combatants and are working with local officials to determine the facts”. Haidar Khan, who owns the pine nut fields, said about 150 workers were there for harvesting, with some still missing as well as the confirmed dead and injured.