News Flash – 21 June 2018

National News



Mumbai: Police crack Angadiya firm robbery, 8 held



MUMBAI: LT Marg police recently arrested eight members of a gang that had struck at an Angadiya firm in Bhuleshwar, South Mumbai, and looted Rs 1.13 crore. The gang threatened two employees with a knife and used chloroform to sedate the victims. The accused then blew up nearly Rs20 lakh on a shopping spree. The incident took place on May 29. A team supervised by additional police commissioner Pravin Padwal and DCP Dnyaneshwar Chavan was formed to probe the case. Investigation revealed one of the employees, Ripon Patel, had tipped his friend, Bhavik Panchal, working in an Angadiya firm close by, about a huge stash of cash in their office. Panchal got in touch with some contacts in Ahmedabad to execute robbery. After the robbery, the accused split the money. “A few days later, they all went to Goa. By then, we had arrested Patel and Panchal. We caught four others from Gujarat, while one was tracked to Agra and another to north India too,” said an officer. Over Rs 92 lakh has been recovered so far. – Mateen Hafeez.



Clash over rash driving, one hurt



KOLKATA: A clash broke out at Ekbalpore’s Bhukailash Road on Tuesday night. This was third time area saw clashes in three months. Locals said some motorbikes threw bombs in the locality, injuring a 38-year-old woman. The victim, Yasmin Bibi, is being treated at the SSKM Hospital. One of the accused Md Imtiaz Alam (23) has been arrested in this case. “The incident was sparked after a biker rode rashly. Presently, the situation is under control and another suspect is being questioned,” said DC in-charge (port) Dinesh Kumar. Locals said a biker was riding rashly in front of 6, Bhukailash Road. Later, when 150 locals from Bhukailash area protested, residents of neighbouring Dhurpura residents where the biker lives broke into a scuffle. Witnesses said the Bhukailash residents had asked Dhurpura locals to apologize. “In the fight, someone from Dhurpura hurled a bomb leaving Yasmin injured. She was rushed to SSKM Hospital where she was declared to be out of danger. Police said a case under several sections pertaining to attempt to murder and Explosives Substance Act was initiated by the Ekbalpore police. Police has set up a booth in the area to keep vigil. The clash broke out at the narrow Bhukailash Road that cuts through Kidderpore from Karl Marx Sarani to Diamond Harbour Road near CMRI hospital. In a previous case on May 31, members of two factions of the local club located on Bhukailash Road had staked claim on running the club around 8.30am in the morning resulting in a clash. Sources denied there was any political angle but said both sides have claimed allegiance to the ruling party.



Air India flight returns 20 minutes after take-off; bird hit suspected



CHENNAI: The Chennai-Delhi Air India flight (AI 440) was forced to return around 20 minutes after taking off from Chennai airport on Wednesday due to a suspected bird hit. The A321 aircraft took off at 6.47am with 130 passengers from the main runway in the direction of Pallavaram. It climbed to 6,000 feet and was cruising at 500kmph over Gummidipoondi area when the pilot suspected some trouble with an engine and reported the same to the air traffic control. Sources said that the pilot requested for a return and asked for priority landing. The flight landed safely and the aircraft has been grounded. The passengers disembarked and were brought to the terminal. They were accommodated in other flights of the airline.


An airport official said that the pilot did not report a bird strike but said he felt some vibration on the right engine. An inspection revealed that three blades of the engine was damaged. “The blades were bent a little and the engineers suspect that it may be because of a bird hit the engine. However, the engine was free of remains. Since there is no other way an engine can be damaged, authorities feel that it was a case of bird strike. But the pilot has not reported spotting any birds,” he added. Usually, pilots report a bird strike if they spot birds close to the plane as it may not be possible to sense a hit by a small bird on the fuselage. Only migratory birds and kites fly at this altitude. But migratory bird’s season had completed.



Robbery thwarted in Ahmedabad, 3 injured

The family confronted some 10 men who were trying to rob them.



AHMEDABAD: Three persons, including one woman, suffered injuries when they confronted some 10 men who were trying to rob them, at Amrakunj Society in the Chandkheda area of the city in the wee hours of Monday. Police lodged a complaint against unknown persons and are gathering CCTV footage from the vicinity. According to the complainant, P K Awasthi, an HR professional, the incident occurred at 3am on Monday. Three unknown persons tried to break open their main gate. When he rebuked them, seven others rushed in and started pelting them with stones. Awasthi’s wife, Snehlata (47), and their son Akshil (18) suffered injuries. Despite the unexpected confrontation, the robbers managed to snatch Snehlata’s gold chain, worth Rs 30,000. “I heard an explosion outside and woke up. I saw four men standing there. I started yelling at them. When I left the house, seven more persons rushed there and started pelting me with stones,” Awasthi told TOI. “Some of the men started running towards me and I began running outside. On hearing the commotion, my son came out of the house and was attacked by the robbers. Three of the robbers entered my house and attacked my wife,” he added. “Fortunately, there were some labourers outside the house and they came to our rescue,” Awasthi said. He said the robbers would have killed him and his family if the labourers had not protected them.



International News



Police fatally shoot 17-year-old boy fleeing traffic stop

Debra Jones, who said she saw the incident, sits on her porch along Grandview Avenue on June 20 in East Pittsburgh.



EAST PITTSBURGH: A police officer fatally shot a 17-year-old boy just seconds after he fled from a traffic stop on late Tuesday in a confrontation partly captured on video from a nearby home. Investigators said on Wednesday that the car stopped in the town of East Pittsburgh matched the description of a vehicle being sought in a nonfatal shooting in a town a few miles away. An East Pittsburgh officer, who has not been identified, was taking the driver into custody when the two passengers, including 17-year-old Antwon Rose, fled the car. Allegheny County Police Superintendent Coleman McDonough said Rose was shot three times. A report from the medical examiner confirmed that Rose had died at a local hospital but did not say where he was struck or the cause of death. McDonough said police found two semi-automatic handguns on the floor of the car. In the video, which was posted to Facebook, the teens can be seen dashing from the car. Three shots ring out, and both passengers appear to either duck or fall to the ground as they pass behind a house. A woman yells, asking why an officer shot the boy for running. No shots were fired at the officers during the encounter, and no weapon was found on Rose’s body, said McDonough. There was no indication the other passenger from the car was shot or injured, but he was not captured and still was being sought by police, McDonough said. Debra Jones told The Associated Press her voice is the one caught on the video. Jones, 53, said she was sitting on the porch of the home she shares with her daughter when the traffic stop began. She said the officer drew his gun as he talked to the driver, and she instinctually took cover.


“I fell off my seat and started to crawl into my house. But I turned and said, ‘No, someone needs to keep an eye on this,’ and I came out to watch the stop,” Jones said. When the two passengers took off, “that officer didn’t try to chase them or taze them. He just shot that boy for running,” she said. “I looked out my kitchen window and they were putting him in handcuffs. He wasn’t moving. I think that boy died right there on the side of my house”. McDonough noted there are circumstances when Pennsylvania law permits officers to use lethal force on a fleeing suspect. It’s allowed to prevent death or serious injury to an officer or another person or if the fleeing suspect has used or threatened violence or possesses a lethal weapon. Dozens of protesters gathered outside the East Pittsburgh police station Wednesday evening, emotions running high as they demanded justice. County police were called in to conduct an independent investigation, which is standard procedure, McDonough said. He said the officer has been placed on administrative leave. The driver of the vehicle, a 20-year-old man, was taken into custody and released after McDonough said officers did not feel they had cause to charge him in the earlier shooting. The shooting in North Braddock happened less than 15 minutes before the traffic stop, McDonough said. He said a 22-year-old man had been shot in the abdomen after nine shots were fired from the car. The man, who was treated at a hospital and released, told police he fired back and struck the car.


McDonough said he was confident the car pulled over by East Pittsburgh was involved in the incident, noting that a back window had been shot out. He said it was too early in the investigation to say whether Rose had fired a weapon in the earlier incident. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that Rose had been volunteering at the Free Store 15104 in Braddock each summer since 2015, according to founder Gisele Fetterman, the wife of Braddock Mayor John Fetterman. “He was just a really lovely, gentle kid,” Gisele Fetterman told the newspaper at a World Refugee Day event in Market Square on Wednesday. “His mom is amazing. All the kids loved him. Just a fine person. Bubbly. Funny. Goofy. Just really special”. Duquesne City Mayor Nickole Nesby, a friend of Antwon’s mother who had known the teen since birth, described him as a well-mannered and smart person who liked playing basketball. “He was a beautiful little boy,” she told the Post-Gazette. “He was full of life”.



Taliban kill 30 Afghan soldiers and take base in first major attack since ceasefire



KABUL: Taliban militants killed 30 Afghan soldiers and captured a military base in the western province of Badghis on Wednesday, the provincial governor said, their first major attack since a ceasefire for the Eid al-Fitr holiday. The three-day Taliban ceasefire ended on Sunday. Provincial governor Abdul Qafoor Malikzai said the Taliban attacked two security posts in the early hours. Abdul Aziz Bek, head of the Badghis provincial council, said one military base was targeted, in the district of Balamerghab. “Large numbers of Taliban came from several directions,” Bek said. “After hours of heavy fighting 30 Afghan security forces were killed and the Taliban captured the base”. Fifteen Taliban were killed in other areas of the province overnight, he said, adding that the militants prepared their attacks and did reconnaissance of the area during their ceasefire. The Taliban did not immediately comment on the attacks.


Naqibullah Amini, spokesman for the Badghis police, confirmed the death of 30 soldiers and said the Taliban killed four soldiers in separate attacks on security checkpoints in the same district. The government also called a ceasefire for the holiday and Taliban fighters headed into cities across the country over the weekend as both sides celebrated the end of the fasting month of Ramadan. President Ashraf Ghani extended his unilateral ceasefire, initially due to end on Wednesday, by 10 days. Some have criticised his ceasefire, which allowed the Taliban to freely enter government-held areas, including the capital, Kabul. “The consequences could be disastrous,” a senior Western diplomat in Kabul said this week. The Taliban are fighting to oust US-led NATO forces combined and defeat Ghani’s US-backed government to restore sharia, or Islamic law, after their ouster by US-led forces in 2001.



4 killed and 25 arrested after a shooting in Mexico City



MEXICO CITY: Mexico City prosecutors say four people are dead and 25 arrested after a series of shootings apparently related to drug dealing. Police responding to reports of drug deals found two people dead on the city’s south side. Police chased the suspects and came under fire from gunmen on motorcycles. They reported killing kill two of the assailants and wounding another. Five guns, one car and 16 motorcycles were seized at the scene. This comes two days after pieces of the dismembered bodies of two men were found scattered on a major street in the capital. Mexico City had largely been spared the grisly drug cartel violence affecting other parts of Mexico.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x