Safe Travel for Women: Tenders for Panic Buttons and CCTV’s in Buses Next Month
THIRD EYE: Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia had proposed the installation of CCTV cameras in buses in his first budget speech for FY16.
New Delhi: Safe travel for women in DTC and cluster scheme buses has moved a step closer to being a reality. The tender process to install 10 panic buttons in each bus, apart from three CCTV cameras and a hooter is expected to be completed next month. After failing to find bidders in its first attempt, Delhi government had floated fresh tenders last month hoping to elicit a better response this time. “The panic buttons and live feed from the CCTV cameras will be linked to a central control room at the transport department office. As soon as a passenger presses the panic button, an alert will sound at the control room and the DTC depot manager’s office. In case of an emergency, police will also be alerted. Two-way communication will also be available between the driver and the control room,” a transport department official said.
The Delhi cabinet had approved the installation of CCTV cameras and panic buttons in buses in July 2017, but the tender was finally floated in November 2018. However, only two firms had responded to the tender. One of them had applied after the last date and was technically disqualified. That left only one bidder, which is why the tender was floated again,” an official said. The installation of CCTV cameras in public transport buses has been a key poll promise of AAP. Deputy CM Manish Sisodia had proposed it in his first budget speech as finance minister for the financial year 2015-16. Each DTC and cluster bus is expected to get three state-of-the art IP (Internet Protocol) CCTV cameras. Their installation and maintenance contract would be for five years. A screen in each bus would telecast the output of the cameras.
30-year-old who hired Men, Plotted Jewellery Heist Nabbed from Pune
TIMELY ACTION: On Wednesday, the shop owner’s wife foiled the robbery attempt by throwing a metal chair at the gang.
Bengaluru: A 30-year-old man, suspected to be the mastermind of the failed robbery bid at Samrat Jewels in Vyalikaval, was on Saturday taken into custody from Pune. Prahlad Chowdhury alias Kailas, a resident of KR Puram and from Rajasthan, had taken shelter in Pune after the Wednesday incident. Vyalikaval police had earlier arrested J Balvan Singh, 24, Balaji Gaikwad, 25, J Sriram Bishnoi, 23, and J Om Prakash, 22, seven hours after the robbery bid. “With an intention to loot jewellery shops in Bengaluru, Prahlad formed the gang. He took a house on rent to gather his team members and spent money from his pocket to pay rent and fulfil their daily needs,” police said. Prahlad had worked at several jewellery shops in the city and was a friend of Balaji. The duo decided to target jewellery shops to make a quick buck.
“As per Prahlad’s plan, gang members stole two bikes to commit the crime. He was not part of the team that struck Samrat Jewels and fled to Pune after learning that his associates had failed to execute the plan. Probe is on to know whether Prahlad is behind any other robbery reported in Bengaluru or other places,” an officer said. A team is working to trace the source of the country-made pistol which Balaji reportedly procured from Bihar. On Wednesday afternoon, Balvan Singh had shot one bullet at the roof of Samrat Jewels while attempting the robbery. Balaji and Sriram had accompanied Singh. However, Rakhi, wife of shop owner Ashish Kumar Jain, hurled a metal chair at Balvan, forcing the trio to flee.
Spurt in Dengue & Typhoid Cases in Cantt, Daily Count Exceeds 400 in Area Hospital
Secunderabad: While sporadic cases of typhoid have been reported from Hyderabad in the last two weeks, Secunderabad Cantonment has been witnessing a spurt in cases of viral fever, dengue and typhoid. Residents are worried that the situation could spiral out of control as some of the areas like Picket, Trimulgherry and Bowenpally are dotted with slums where there is nothing much to talk about as far as sanitation is concerned. Senior medical and health officials confirmed that the outpatient ward is witnessing a lot of cases of viral fever and dengue. “Incidence of these diseases is on the rise. We are seeing a daily count of 250-300 patients. Sometimes, the count is crossing 400 at the area hospital,” Dr Manju Rani, medical superintendent of Cantonment run dispensaries and hospitals. She said the Cantonment dispensaries receive 50-70 cases viral fever, typhoid and dengue a day.
Apart from increased incidence of typhoid which essentially happens due to contamination of drinking water cases, officials said several households have at least one patient suffering from either viral fever or dengue. “Since we stay in the close vicinity of slums, we have to put up with poor sanitation. During rains, garbage is strewn all around and open nalas overflow. It’s a perfect recipe for a health disaster,” said Sai Reddy, a resident of Vijay Nagar Colony, Picket. Thanks to the spurt in the cases, dispensaries, the area hospital in Bolarum and private clinics are witnessing a huge rush. Residents, however, complain that Cantonment-run dispensaries close by 3-4 pm and are compelled to approach private clinics. “My daughter developed fever in the evening and since the dispensary closes by 4 pm, we had to go to a small clinic. I cannot afford a hospital consultation but then I realised all the clinics have a long waiting time as there is a huge rush,” Mohammed Aziz from Bowenpally slum said. He urged the Cantonment authorities to keep the dispensaries open till late in the evening.