News Flash – 29 September 2017

National News



Unlocked car no grounds to turn down theft claim


Mumbai: A consumer forum ruled against an insurance company who repudiated a car theft claim on the grounds that the vehicle was left unlocked when the driver visited the washroom for a few minutes. The forum has ordered the insurance company to pay Rs 5.22 lakh along with a compensation of Rs 40,000 to the owner of a Skoda car after it was stolen from a heavily secured and guarded Marine Lines building in 2012. The complaint was submitted before the Central Mumbai District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum in 2015 by the owner of the car Ms. Banswara Syntex Limited against TATA AIG General Insurance Co Ltd. The complaint said that on May 7, 2012, the car was parked at the parking place of the company’s director. The driver of the car slept in the vehicle for the night. The following morning the driver went to washroom. On his return a few minutes later he found that the car was not in the parking spot. A complaint was lodged with the police and on May 9, 2012 the RTO was informed. The insurance company was intimated and the claim submitted. However, the insurance company repudiated the claim through a letter dated March 25, 2013 on the grounds that proper care was not taken and the vehicle was left unattended without locking it.


It said that this was a breach of the policy conditions. The complainant’s said that the claim was repudiated on the basis of the insurance company’s investigator report. The advocate pointed out that the report said, “It was found that the location is well secured and guarded by a fleet of security persons”. He further submitted that the investigator report was binding on the insurance company”. The consumer forum said that it is a well settled law that the insurance company cannot avoid the report submitted by investigator without proper reason. While pointing to the investigator’s report, the forum said, “Merely because the vehicle was not locked, it cannot be said that it was left unattended. In the instant complaint before us, the vehicle was parked at the parking place under security. The opponent has wrongly repudiated the claim”.



IndiGo A320 neo engine woes add to congestion at Delhi airport



NEW DELHI: IndiGo’s woes with A320 neo aircraft engines is impacting operations at the Delhi aerodrome with “extra time” taken by these planes to taxi out results in congestion, especially during peak hours, according to airport and ATC sources. The A320 neo planes, powered by Pratt & Whitney engines, have been facing problems even forcing the no-frills airline to ground some of those aircraft. Besides IndiGo, budget carrier GoAir also has these aircraft running on P&W engines. Sources at the airport and ATC (Air Traffic Control) here said the issue of A320 neo planes taking longer time to start up and taxi out has been flagged to the airline and stakeholders concerned. Queries sent to IndiGo spokesperson remained unanswered while DIAL spokesperson could not be contacted. The issue was discussed during the Airside Safety Committee Meeting of the airport in July. A source quoting the minutes of the July meeting said DIAL informed that due to engine issues IndiGo’s A320 neo planes were taking “extra time” for taxiing after getting push back from the parking area and at times, these aircraft also cause block on the taxiways. On account of this delay, the airport traffic gets congested as the arriving flights have to wait for their parking bay till the particular A320 neo planes moves out, they added. With IndiGo operating a good number of A320 neos, a few minutes delay in each of the departure has a cascading impact on flight operations from the airport, sources said.


The Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA), operated by a GMR group-led consortium, is the busiest in the country and handled 57.7 million passengers in 2016-17. IndiGo is the country’s largest domestic carrier and a significant number of flights that are operated out of the airport here. On an average, there are around 1,200 flight movements at the airport here every day. There are about 67 flight movements per hour and it goes up to 72 during peak hours. InterGlobe Aviation-run IndiGo had grounded nine A320 neo (new engine option) planes due to issues P&W engines in June quarter and few more were grounded later. This had also resulted in a large number of flights getting cancelled. As of now, IndiGo has grounded at least seven of the 23 A320 neos operated by it. IndiGo President Aditya Ghosh had during the post-Q1 earnings call on July 31 said that “regrettably, there have been days when we have had to ground as many as nine A320 neos due to lack of spare engines. While we do receive certain compensation from Pratt and Whitney for these groundings, the operational disruptions are quite challenging and we are not happy with that situation”. To cater to the rising traffic, DIAL has announced plans to expand the passenger handling capacity of two operational terminals, recommission operations at terminal-2 and build a new runway by 2021. At present, there are three runways – 11/29, 10/28 and 9/27. As per the master plan, capacity of T1 will be increased from 20 million to 40 million and the capacity of T3 will be increased from 34 million to 45 million.



4 killed as heavy rain lashes north Karnataka



Hubballi: Heavy rain lashed parts of north Karnataka on Thursday leaving four people dead, including three children, while over 2,500 houses were damaged in Davanagere city. Three children died when lightning struck them at Goudigiri village in Yadagiri taluk on Thursday evening. They were grazing sheep on a field when the incident occurred. The deceased have been identified as Nagaraj Pujari (12), Nagendramma Pujari (10) and Kareppa Pujari. Another person died when he was hit by lightning at Ennivadageri village. The deceased, Nagappa Hosamani, was standing under a tree on his field when lightning struck him. Heavy downpour in Davanagere and Harihar towns threw life out of gear on Thursday evening. The KSRTC bus stand, vegetable market and Ashoka road areas in Davanagere were inundated. The government hospital in Harihar town was also reportedly flooded, leaving patients helpless. Over 2,500 houses were damaged due to rain in Davanagere city alone, leaving several people homeless. The affected families have been shifted to temporary shelters arranged by the district administration. Deputy Commissioner D S Ramesh said five gruel centres have also been opened for the purpose. “Over 250 families from Chikkanahalli, 30 each from Neelammana Thota and Nittuvalli were affected. We can pay Rs 95,100 as compensation to each damaged house, but there is no provision for illegally built houses.


At the same time, we are distributing cheques of Rs 3,800 to each affected family under the state natural calamity fund,” Ramesh said. A land of over eight acres has been identified at Boosanur Hatti near Davanagere to build a housing complex as a permanent solution for all those who have lost their houses, the DC said. A proposal in this regard would be sent to the government shortly, he added. District minister S S Mallikarjun, mayor Anithabayi Malathesh and the DC visited the flood-affected areas. Agriculture fields were inundated due to heavy rain in several parts of Gadag district. Normal life was thrown out of gear at Gadag-Betageri, Naragund, Lakshmeshwar, Naregal and Mundaragi. Vijayapura, too, witnessed rain for more than two hours in the afternoon. The sudden downpour, accompanied by thunderbolt and lightning, flooded major roads resulting in waterlogging. Several areas in Ballari district — Kottur, Gadiganur, Toranagallu and parts of Hosapete – received rain for more than two hours. However, no damage was reported.



Alert loco pilot averts possible train accident in Tamil Nadu

A train passing through the restored section of a cracked track in Tamil Nadu on Thursday.



VELLORE: A possible train accident was averted after the loco pilot of a goods train spotted a fracture on the up line near Vaniyambadi railway station in Tamil Nadu in the early hours of Thursday. Southern Railway officials said the rail fracture measuring around 1 foot was found before the first signal (starter signal) at the Vaniyambadi railway station. The loco pilot of a goods train, who spotted the fracture, brought the train to a halt. On being informed, officials detained several Chennai-bound trains in various places. Traffic was restored after the temporary restoration of the up line (Bengaluru to Chennai). However, Chennai-bound morning trains were running late by two hours. Officials said Yesvantpur-Muzaffarpur Weekly Express (train no 15227) that was to leave Katpadi railway station at 7.10am left the station at 9.20am. Mangaluru Central -Chennai Central Superfast Express (12686), Thiruvananthapuram Central -Chennai Central Express (12696), Cheran Express (12674) and Yelagiri Express were running late by two hours. After allowing the morning trains to pass through the section at a speed of 5km, the authorities took up work on permanent restoration of the fractured rail. “The fractured rail will be replaced by a 13-metre rail. By noon, the will be completed,” said an official.



Damaged roads, overflowing drains are big challenge for Mangalhat division



CHARMINAR: Expressing anger over the apathy of the authorities concerned, residents of Balramgalli and Kagaziguda localities have complained that frequently overflowing drains and the pathetic condition of the roads have been much inconvenience to everyone passing through these areas. A resident of Balramgalli district, Babu Singh, said the devotees have to face a lot of problems due to the presence of drain water that routinely overflows right onto the road. He further added that the local leaders and authorities concerned are well aware of the situation in the locality but they failed to solve the problems permanently. “It is Navrantri Festival time. The devotees have been facing immense problems owing to the overflowing drains. Besides this, there is a lack of cleanliness in our locality though local leaders and authorities are well aware of the problems but nothing has been done. I want them to at least pay attention to these problems which have become a head ache for us,” Babu Singh complained. Residents of Kagaziguda district made similar complaints saying that the cutting of inner roads have caused accidents in the area.


They said that some motorists met with accidents due to dug-up roads. Despite this, the authority concerned are not in a mood to visit the localities. “For the last 25 days we have had to undergo much suffering because of road cuttings in these areas. The roads have been dug into at haphazard locations. The motorists have to ride cautiously to avoid accidents. “Some motorists have met with accidents, after losing their control over their vehicles while trying to avoid dug up roads. We want the officials concerned to take note of the damaged road and ensure re pair or lay new road in the locality,” said Sashi Kanth, one of the residents of Kagaziguda district. The situation turns worse when it rains in these areas. The accumulation of rain water in potholes and overflowing drains add to residents and motorists woes. The locals urged Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation authorities to take serious note of their problems and give them respite from broken roads and overflowing drains.



Chennai put on high alert for dengue



CHENNAI: The government on Thursday put officials in Chennai on high alert for dengue even as a 32-year-old man with symptoms of the disease died in Tambaram. If tests confirm that the Tambaram resident had contracted dengue, it would take the death toll from the disease in the city to 21 since January this year. Officials said they were yet to positively ascertain the cause of death. Several victims have been schoolchildren and the school education department on Thursday issued an advisory to be circulated across the state. Tests revealed that at least four schoolchildren who died with symptoms of dengue in Chennai and on the outskirts in the past few days had contracted the disease. Two of the children were from the city, a 10-year-old girl was from Tiruvallur, and an 11-year-old girl was from Maduranthakam. There have been more than 8,000 cases of dengue in the state in the last nine months. Chennai has reported more than 130 cases of dengue since January and three deaths in the past week. The state health department will start outpatient fever clinics in all government hospitals where at least two doctors will be posted round the clock including on weekends and public holidays. “There is now a spike in fever and dengue cases in Chennai and its outskirts,” health minister C Vijaya Baskar told reporters here on Thursday, while announcing the opening of the fever clinics. “We are taking all measures to bring the disease under control”.


Public health officials say that almost all the deaths occurred because patients were admitted to tertiary hospitals very late. While the state has deputed 92 units that will spread across the city to undertake vector control measure including fogging, senior public health officials urged people to prevent mosquito breeding in their houses and workplaces. The government has asked schools to ensure that the space around classrooms and bathrooms should not be waterlogged and any stagnation should be attended to immediately by authorities. Schools have been told to check if all water tanks and water pots and containers are kept closed and also raise awareness among students on drinking clean water only from closed containers. The department has advised residents to prevent storing water in open vessels or containers and check for water stagnation, which enables mosquito breeding, in coconut shells, old tyres, flowerpots, plates and water tanks. “During the assembly session, school heads must educate students of the symptoms and raise awareness about mosquito breeding and diseases like dengue and chikungunya,” the advisory said.



International News



More than 130,000 flee menacing Bali volcano

Mount Agung volcano spews smoke to the air as seen from Karangasem, on paradise island of Bali.



BALI: More than 130,000 people have fled the region around the Mount Agung volcano+ on the Indonesian tourist island of Bali, fearing it will soon erupt, an official said on Thursday. The disaster mitigation agency’s command post in Bali said the number of evacuees has swelled to about 134,200. The figure is more than double the estimated population within an immediate danger zone but people further away are leaving too. Those who have fled are scattered in more than 500 locations across the island famed for its beaches, lush green interior and elegant Hindu culture, taking shelter in temporary camps, sports centers and other public buildings. The volcano has been at its highest alert level since Friday, sparking the massive exodus of villagers. Thousands of cows left behind by rural communities are also being evacuated. The exclusion zone around the mountain extends as far as 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) from the crater in places. “I was very worried about the situation” said Nyoman Suarta, who was leaving a village a few kilometers outside the official no-go radius. “So I decided to get out to save myself with my stuff and my pet,” he said, carrying a cage housing a bird. Agung, which dominates the landscape in the northeast of the island, last erupted in 1963, killing more than 1,100 people. It remained active for about a year. Volcanologists say the past week’s dramatic escalation in tremors indicates an eruption is more likely than not, but they can’t say with certainty when it will happen. “I would definitely be following the advice to stay outside the exclusion zone,” said Heather Handley, an assistant Earth sciences professor at Sydney’s Macquarie University.


The increase in tremors suggests an eruption is “imminent,” she said. Its eruptions in 1963 produced deadly clouds of searing hot ash, gases and rock fragments that traveled down its slopes at great speed. Lava spread for several kilometers (miles) and people were also killed by lahars _ rivers of water and volcanic debris. Officials this week installed warning sirens in several townships. “If Mount Agung erupts, I’m in charge of pressing the alarm button,” said Nyoman Kasna, a local official. “Sirens will sound and tell the community the mountain has erupted”. Agung, about 70 kilometers (45 miles) to the northeast of the tourist hotspot of Kuta, is among more than 120 active volcanoes in Indonesia. Another volcano, Mount Sinabung on Sumatra, has been erupting sporadically since 2010, sometimes blasting volcanic ash several kilometers (miles) into the air and forcing more than 30,000 to evacuate their villages. Indonesia, an archipelago of thousands of islands, is prone to seismic upheaval due to its location on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” an arc of volcanoes and fault lines encircling the Pacific Basin.



Somalia police say car bomb blast kills five in capital

The wreckage of a destroyed van, as seen at the scene of a car explosion in Hamarweyne district of Mogadishu.



MOGADISHU: A car bomb explosion in Somalia‘s capital late Thursday has killed at least five people, police say. The blast was by a car parked outside a restaurant in Mogadishu‘s Hamarweyne district and killed mostly civilians, said Captain Mohamed Hussein. The explosion shattered a period of calm in this seaside city which has a large security presence following a series of attacks by the Islamic extremist rebels of al-Shabab, who are linked to al-Qaida and fighting the Somali government and African Union forces in the country. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast. However, al-Shabab often carries out such attacks. Despite being ousted from large parts of the south and central Somalia; the insurgents continue deadly attacks across the country.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x