News Flash – 30 October 2018

National News



ATM fraud: 3 culprits held at Shadnagar


Hyderabad: Cybercrime sleuths of Cyberabad commissionerates have arrested three members of an inter-state gang of fraudsters stealing debit card details of people by snooping at ATM centres near Shadnagar on Monday. Using the stolen data, they had duped over 200 people by siphoning off money from their bank accounts. Cyberabad police have arrested Manish Kumar, 19, Vinod Kumar, 18, and Manjesh Kumar, 21, all from Gopalgunj in Bihar. The gang members collected debit card details, including card number, CVV and PIN by standing close to victims while they were withdrawing cash from ATMs. Cyberabad commissioner V C Sajjanar said the accused had gathered debit card details by snooping on customers withdrawing cash at ATMs near Shadnagar bus stand. “The accused targeted customers visiting ATM centres where there was no security guard,” the commissioner added. All the victims were residents of Shadnagar and surrounding villages. “Most victims are from rural areas. The accused mostly stole data from Axis and ICICI Bank ATM centres where security guards were not deployed,” Cyber Crime Inspector K Srinivas said.


After collecting debit card details by snooping, the culprits verify the victim’s account balance by calling the particular bank’s call centre. After verifying the account balance, they place order for products like mobile phones, laptops, gold coins on e-commerce websites like Flipkart, ShopClues, Big Basket, Amazon, where OTP might not be required. They also used to purchase flight tickets and recharge talk time. “Based on an agreement between e-commerce firm and the bank, payment through debit card is being allowed with card number, CVV and PIN. OTP is not being asked and the accused exploited this loophole,” the inspector said. The accused obtained multiple SIM cards from their native place on different names and, while ordering the products, they always used to mention vague delivery addresses so that the order could be picked up without revealing their place of stay. The gang even picked up orders from other states like Kerala, Bihar, Karnataka, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar.



7 hurt as Thane building scaffolding crashes


The seven labourers came down crashing with the pile of bamboo.



Thane: Seven construction workers suffered severe injuries after a bamboo scaffolding put up for repairs and painting of a 19-storey residential building in Balkum area collapsed around 10.30 am on Monday. All the seven were standing high up on the scaffolding, without any safety gear, and came down crashing with the pile of bamboo. Rescue officials said five of them are in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) whereas the rest are out of danger, having sustained relatively minor injuries. The Balkum fire brigade, the Kapurbawdi police and the Regional Disaster Management Cell (RDMC) reached the spot and rushed the seven daily-wage workers to two hospitals. Five of them—Mohammed Royal Shaikh (30), Mohammed Rakhibulla Sheikh (21), Hasan Shaikh (24), Manirudhin Shaikh (27) and Jamal Sheikh (50)—were admitted to a private hospital in Kolshet, while the other two-Ektiyar Mohammed (20) and Dulal Singh (35)— were taken to the state-run Civil hospital in Thane. Gopal Singh, owner of the private hospital, said, “The five patients seemed to have had a bad fall as they were brought in a critical condition. All of them had multiple fractures and rib and head injuries since they had fallen on the pile of bamboos. The workers are still in a serious condition in ICU”.


Residents said the housing society of the six-year old Daisy building in Runwal Garden City complex was carrying out repairs and painting work for the past two years and had appointed a contractor for that. The residents also alleged that the ropes in the scaffolding had worn out as the contractors had delayed the work. “The repairs were being carried out as the building had seepage and leakage problems, besides re-painting was going on. The contractors would often change and new labourers were appointed after every few months. The ropes had become worn-out and loose due to the rains which could have led to the fall,” said a resident of the complex requesting anonymity. As per preliminary investigations, the police have registered a case against the private contractor, Dada Kumbhar, appointed by the housing society, under sections 336, 337 and 338 of the Indian Penal Code for causing hurt and endangering life.



India tops in under-5 deaths due to toxic air, 60,000 killed in 2016: WHO


New Delhi: India’s toxic air has been linked to the premature deaths of close to 1,10,000 children in 2016, with the country witnessing highest number of deaths of children under five years attributed to their exposure to ambient air pollution of particulate matter (PM) 2.5, said a World Health Organisation (WHO) report released on the eve of the first-ever conference on air pollution and health. As many as 60,987 children of under five years of age in India died due to exposure to outdoor air pollution of PM 2.5. Nigeria with 47,674 deaths is a distant second, followed by Pakistan with 21,136 deaths. China recorded 6,645 deaths. In India, death rate for this age bracket is 50.8 per 1,00,000 with more girls dying than boys. About 32,889 girls died, compared to 28,097 boys in 2016. Between ages of five and 14, India saw deaths of 4,360 children due to ambient air pollution. Across both age groups, over 1 lakh children died due to ambient and household pollution of particulate matter 2.5 in 2016. PM 2.5 are fine dust particles, considered highly harmful for health because it can enter people’s lungs while breathing. The report, ‘Air Pollution and Child Health – Prescribing clean air’, seeks to caution against the rising levels of pollution causing growing burden of diseases as well as deaths. Over 2 million deaths occur prematurely in India due to pollution, accounting for 25% of global deaths. The data for India is primarily based on four key studies: a 1991study on perinatal mortality; a 2009 study on adverse reproductive outcomes; a 2010 study on low birth weight & still birth and a 2013 study on still births in India.



707 Dengue, 24 Malaria, 31 Chikungunya cases last week



New Delhi: According to the latest report of the municipal corporation, 707 cases of dengue, 24 cases of malaria and 31 chikungunya cases were reported in the last one week. Of the 707 cases of dengue, 290 were reported in Delhi while the remaining are from other states. This year, 3,401 cases of dengue have been reported, of which 1,310 were from Delhi. Over 800 cases of malaria have also been reported this year. Senior civic officials claim that they have been regularly monitoring the major breeding grounds and have issued notice to violators. The civic body report stated that domestic breeding checkers found mosquito breeding in 21.5 lakh houses in Delhi till October 27. It said that 1.7 lakh notices have been served for various violations and 24,696 prosecutions have been initiated. As a pro-active measure, LG Anil Baijal had, a few months ago, directed local bodies and other agencies to intensify vector-control measures. The LG also asked for regular meetings of district magistrates with all stakeholders to review the situation in their respective districts. A senior doctor at a government run facility in the city advised people to take precautions like wearing full sleeves and not allowing the breeding of mosquito larvae inside their homes.



Lift collapses at under-construction site, 4 labourers die



New Delhi: Four workers died at a construction site in north Delhi’s Narela when a hydraulic lift malfunctioned and collapsed. According to the police, the men were working at a housing society project of the Delhi Development Authority. DCP (Rohini) Rajneesh Gupta said the victims were identified as Sonu (25), Sonu Ram (27), Pramod (30) and Raj Kumar (28). Initial probe revealed the incident took place around 4.30pm on Monday. The contract for the project was given to a company, identified as B G Shirke, and a makeshift lift using a hydraulic crane had been setup there. The lift was used to transport raw materials to the top floor of the building. Eyewitnesses said the service engineer, Pramod, along with the three workers had stepped on the lift, which had iron grills around it. The men were travelling to the top floor to check on some repairs, when the crane that was supporting the metal wire developed some snag. The pulley, holding the lift, lost power and the lift came crashing down from a height of 35 feet. The workers immediately rushed the injured men to a nearby hospital where doctors declared them dead on arrival. Though an autopsy is yet to be conducted, preliminary medical examination has revealed that the men suffered multiple fractures and injuries to their head.


“The tower crane machine, during a routine maintenance, malfunctioned due to which accident occurred. Compensation to the kin of the victims will be given by the construction agency, as per the terms and conditions of our contract. We are looking into the issue to identify the reasons for the accident. DDA will take all necessary steps to prevent recurrence of such incidents. A committee of two superintending engineers is being formed to conduct a fact finding inquiry,” a DDA spokesperson said. Cops were informed about the incident and a team visited the crash site and collected forensic evidence. The construction site has been sealed as a part of the investigation and cops have asked officials from the construction company to provide documents related to the project. “This is being done to ascertain if due safety regulations were being followed,” said a police officer. Teams are now working to contact the family members of the deceased. While Sonu Ram is a native of Balia in Uttar Pradesh, Sonu came from Jaunpur, UP. Rajkumar is a native of Bokaro in Jharkhand. Cops said that the autopsies will be conducted on Tuesday.



Security Guard Kills Housekeeper in Lavelle Road office

SETTLING SCORE: Biswas allegedly slit Dilip’s throat with a knife he’d ordered online.



Bengaluru: A 21-year-old security guard allegedly murdered a housekeeping employee at his workplace on Lavelle Road, central business district, on Monday afternoon. He claimed to have been constantly harassed by the youth, who also happened to be his roommate. Bijoy Biswas, from Kalikapur village near Agartala in Tripura, was booked for killing Dilip Pradeep, 21, a resident of KGF in Kolar district, and was arrested from the crime scene. Police said Pradeep worked with Cinerama Pvt. Ltd. (Cinebels) at 4th Cross, Lavelle Road, and shared a room with Biswas on the third floor of the office building. Biswas, who’s attached to Mac Securities, a private security agency, had been deployed at Cinebels three months ago. The incident happened during the lunch break, around 1.50pm. “The accused revealed that harassment by Pradeep prompted him to kill his roommate,” a police officer said. Biswas claimed that Pradeep hid his shoes and intentionally poured water on his clothes. He brought the matter to the notice of the firm’s store manager last week, who warned the youths not to fight over trivial issues.


However, an angry Biswas decided to eliminate Pradeep and ordered a knife on Amazon using his friend’s mobile, which was delivered two days ago. During lunch break on Monday, Biswas walked up to their third floor room and allegedly stabbed Pradeep in his stomach and slit his throat. Pradeep managed to drag himself to the second floor but collapsed on the staircase. Office staff rushed to the spot hearing Pradeep scream and alerted Cubbon Park police. Pradeep was found dead in a pool of blood, and Biswas was taken to the police station. The body was shifted to Bowring and Lady Curzon Hospital. “We have informed Pradeep’s parents and the autopsy will be conducted once they reach the city,” police said. Eshwar B, legal advisor for Mac Securities, said Biswas joined the firm four months ago and was working at Cinebels for three months. “We will extend support to police in the investigation,” Eshwar added. Cinebels provides high-end audio, home cinema solutions and home automation; it’s main office is in Yeshwantpur.



Is Bengaluru’s polluted air ‘breaking’ young hearts?


Bengaluru: Vasanth Kumar, 34, is a non-smoker and teetotaler. The autorickshaw driver from Bommanahalli spends nearly 12 hours a day on the roads to provide for his wife and two children. Three months ago, his small world came crashing down. At first, the pain in his left chest was bearable. With time, it aggravated and one day, he had to be taken to the state-run Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research. There, the doctors gave him some shocking news – he had suffered a heart attack due to blocked arteries. The doctors were as puzzled as Vasant and his family were. “Vasanth is one of the many patients we’ve seen who have suffered heart attacks with no known risk factors involved,” says Dr Rahul S Patil, consultant cardiologist and head of project Premature Coronary Artery Disease (PCAD) at the institute. “We are seeing an increase in the number of young age heart attacks. Air pollution is one of the causes”. Prolonged hours on the road, surrounded by vehicle emissions, impacts the heart, the ongoing study at the institute has found. It covers 2,000 heart patients below 40 years who have been visiting the hospital since April 2017. Over 25% of the patients are either auto drivers or cab drivers, while 65% are from Bengaluru.


“I don’t drink nor smoke. Even the doctors don’t know what may have led to the heart attack,” says Vasanth. “I am more cautious these days. But I have returned to work. I am an autorickshaw driver and that’s my job. I have to continue working”. Researchers at Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research are charting the frequented routes of these patients and to study the impact, mobile air pollution monitors have to be set up. St John’s Research Institute too has joined the study. “We want to understand the effect of traffic and air pollution on the working population travelling in cars,” says Patil. “In the studied population, blood is hyper viscous and unable to flow freely through the arteries. We have learned that there is an abnormal fluctuation in their blood pressure and heart rate, which are known to be detrimental to the heart”. Studies across the world have found that air pollutants lead to cardiovascular diseases such as artery blockages leading to heart attacks and death of heart tissue due to oxygen deprivation, leading to permanent heart damage. While it is still being studied exactly how pollutants weaken the heart, scientists say it is similar to how respiratory disease is caused – by inflammation and oxidative stress.



4 die of swine flu in Kurnool, Vizianagaram



Kurnool: Kurnool has turned into a swine flu death trap as two more persons, including a four-year-old, succumbed to the virus in the district on Monday. According to Dr P Chandra Sekhar, medical superintendent of the government general hospital in Kurnool, the infant was undergoing treatment at the swine flu ward and passed away late on Sunday. A 50-year-old woman from Kurnool succumbed to the deadly virus after undergoing treatment for eight days at government hospital on Monday. At present six patients with swine flu are undergoing treatment at the isolation ward at the Kurnool GGH. Meanwhile, two people died of swine flu in Vizianagaram district, the Vizianagaram district medical health officer (DMHO) said on Monday, prompting the health authorities to spread an awareness campaign.



Salt Lake cafe gets armed visitors in morning rush hr


Kolkata: Four men reportedly barged into a popular cafeteria chain at AD Block in Salt Lake, held the sole employee present in the shop at gunpoint, tied him up with his apron and gagged him and decamped with Rs 15,000—the entire amount left in the cash dispenser. This brazen loot was carried out in 15 minutes flat, around 10.30am on Monday, the shop being located in a three-storey house stone’s throw from First Avenue, which was bustling with office-goers and residents in the morning peak hour. The store manager, Sanjay Singh, confirmed no customer was around and no employee, other than the one targeted, was present at the time of the robbery. According to Singh, the employee, Subhankar Ghosh, had opened the store around 10am, just like any other day. While he was cleaning the store and arranging the tables and chairs, the four men walked in, claiming they had been sent by someone, called Babu, for a job at the cafe. “Ghosh said he did not know anyone by that name and asked them to come back later in the day. While one of the men engaged Ghosh in a conversation, another man from the group took out a gun and held it to Ghosh’s head. Ghosh told us the men demanded that he handed them the money in the store. Scared, he took them to the cash section and opened the vault from which the men took away whatever cash there was, which was Rs 15,000,” Singh said. Ghosh is the oldest staff member at the shop.


The gang then allegedly opened Ghosh’s apron, tied him up with it, gagged him and dumped him in a corner before fleeing. Ghosh has told the police and the cafe chain officials that he somehow managed to free himself after which, he called up the area manager of the chain and dialed 100 to inform the cops about the robbery. “Ghosh called me from the store and told me about the robbery. He sounded scared. I told him to call the cops as well as the other employees immediately. I myself rushed for the store,” said Sumit Singh, area manager of the cafe chain. “This is the first time such an incident has happened at our store. When I reached, the youth was still trembling in fear”. The police found the shop had only one CCTV camera, installed on the ceiling near the cooking and brewing area. “The images are not clear. But we are checking the grabs of a CCTV camera installed outside the house next door and those images may help get a lead,” said a senior detective department officer at the Bidhannagar Commissionerates. Till late into the night, cops recorded the statements of Ghish as well as the other employees and the landlord of the building. “We have started a case and carrying out questioning,” said a Bidhannagar North police station officer. The 60-seater, 1000-sq-ft coffee shop at AD 84, the biggest in the area, has been open for the past two years. With three employees, the establishment stays open from 10am till 10.30pm.



ICF launches India’s first Train-18; ‘five more to roll out by Apr 2020’


Chennai: The Integral Coach Factory (ICF) will manufacture five additional Train-18 sets by the end of April 2020, Ashwani Lohani, chairman of Railway Board, said after launching the first Train-18 set at Integral Coach Factory (ICF) in Chennai on Monday. The 16-coach Train-18 is India’s first engine-less, self-propelled and completely air-conditioned train and is poised to replace the current LHB coaches that are operated on the Shatabdi Express train. It has advanced features such as a maximum speed of 220 kmph, 360 degree rotatable chairs, infotainment, better acceleration and deceleration, modern braking system and a footstep in the coach’s doorway that slides outward when the door is opened. The train would be subjected to field trials by ICF first, Lohani said. Sudhanshu Mani, ICF general manager, said the rake would have speed trials on the Moradabad-Bareilly and Kota-Sawai Madhopur stretch next month. The total cost is Rs.100 crores, which is cheaper by at least Rs.50-70 crore if it were manufactured by a foreign company, Mani said.


Lohani told reporters that depending on the performance, Railway Board might place more orders for Train-18. The train has better acceleration than conventional trains as it has 50 percent more power and can cut down travel time by 10-15 percent. It is equipped with a smart braking system consisting of regenerative and electro-pneumatic braking imported from Hungary. “This is one of the most ambitious Make in India concepts. By developing it completely in India, we have saved on the cost of technology transfer from a foreign country that is usually the norm,” Mani said. An imported rake of similar characteristics would have cost Rs.170 crores, he said. Established private companies in India would have taken 36 months to deliver a similar product, Mani said.



International News



189 feared Dead as plane flown by Indian crashes into Java Sea


Relatives of passengers on the ill-fated flight mourn at Depati Amir Airport in Pangkal Pinang, Indonesia. Two babies and a child were among the 189 on board the plane.



Indonesia: An Indonesian Lion Air aircraft with 189 people on board, flown by an Indian captain, Bhavye Suneja, crashed into the Java Sea on Monday soon after taking off from Jakarta at 6.20am local time (4.50am IST), killing everyone on board. Things went horribly wrong as soon the Boeing 737 Max got airborne for its destination, Pangkal Pinang. The pilot made a request to return to the airport two to three minutes after take-off and the air traffic controller cleared it. But the plane plunged into the sea about 10 minutes later. The B737 had joined the Lion Air fleet on August 15, 2018 and had flown about 800 hours. Once the debris was located, a search and rescue operation was launched. President Joko Widodo ordered an investigation and urged Indonesians to “keep on praying”. But no survivors were found, said Bambang Suryo Aji, director of operations at the Search and Rescue Agency. “My projection is there is no survivor. The bodies of the victims already found were not intact any more. It is very likely that all 189 people are dead,” he said. The vice-president of a leading airline in India that operates the Boeing 737 said Suneja was considering returning to India. “We spoke this July.


He was a very sweet person. Being an experienced pilot of the B737 with an incident-free record, we were keen to have him with us because of his impeccable credentials. His only request was that he be given a Delhi posting as he was from the city. I told him that once he flies with us for a year, we will consider his posting in Delhi,” said the senior official. Captain Suneja had over 6,000 flight hours of experience. Indonesian airlines were barred in 2007 from flying to Europe because of safety concerns, though several were allowed to resume services in the following decade. Of the 189 on board, two were pilots and six were flight attendants. Rescue workers retrieved six bodies from the sea where the Indonesian budget carrier’s crash took place. Authorities said they were trying to locate the black boxes and emergency locator transmitter, which was currently not transmitting, to know the exact cause of the crash. Lion Air chief executive Edward Sirait said the plane had reported a technical problem during its previous flight from Denpasar Bali to Jakarta on Sunday night, but that was resolved before it too.

Brochure  |
Contact Us  |
Contact Us x